Did you know HCR will not stop insurance premium hikes?

Over the last few months, people complained about those horrible, greedy insurance companies. Yet, soon we will be giving more business to those same companies by forcing people to have health insurance. And those insurance companies can raise their prices as high as they want, the government has no price controls in effect.

Sure, the government is going to subsidize your health care costs. But if your premium increases by 30%, do you believe the government will increase their subsidy by 30%? Also, the insurance companies are raising their prices now, before the subsidies go into effect. Can you afford higher prices for the next few years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What people (and the gov't) don't seem to get is that the insurance industry is just that, an industry...they are a business, looking to make a profit. Just like with any company, when their costs go up, so do yours. When they stand to make a better profit (and what business doesn't want more profit) their rates go up. This is where competition comes in, the more competitive a industry is, the more companies that are vying for business, the better the prices....Now the gov't has said every one HAS to have insurance, but put no cap on rates, or allowed better competition among the companies...so guess who gets screwed? You guessed it!! That "middle -class" that Mr O has claimed to be a champion for :-) so much for that, huh?
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Funny you just posted this because I just got my husbands paycheck and it was less than usual so I dug out an old one to compare. Our insurance just went up by $60/mo. I am not a happy camper right now!!
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My insurance company just sent us a letter with a big rate hike as well, Bloo.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The liberals who supported this monstrosity will not touch this question.  They don't want to admit it will cost everyone.  They want to believe it will save money, lower the deficit, and everyone will get fabulous health care. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The evil insurance companies will make a killing on this bill. Those greedy execs will all get enormous bonuses, too! Not the mention the huge profits the horrid drug companies will be raking in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Wow. I wonder how much this will impact families across the nation. I thought this health care bill was supposed to be good for everyone? I agree with pp's, there won't be much liberal response to this one.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• What happened to 'your rates will not increase as a matter of fact the opposite will happen' oh Obama and Pelosi lied again?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The insurance companies are raising their rates in anticipation of all the people with pre-existing conditions who will soon be able to buy insurance at the same rate as everyone else. They know the young and healthy who currently chose not to have coverage will not be in a big rush to buy insurance, especially since they will be paying much higher rates than are currently offered to them.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• For those of your who believed Obama's statement that "Premiums will go down by 3000 percent", this has gotta hurt! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2010