What's your favorite healthy meal you can make for under $5 for the whole meal?

I know it's hard sometimes to go under $5 a meal and still stay healthy, just looking for some suggestions. Mine is turkey chili (when I can find ground turkey on sale). It's just 1 lb ground turkey, 1 can lower sodium kidney beans, 1 can no salt added diced tomatoes, and 1 packet of lower sodium chili seasoning. Easy, healthy, cheap and yummy. Just need more ideas!

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 10:50 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• "Earth Burgers" w/ steamed veggies

I work on a $300/mo budget for 5 people. We do not use processed food at all. Period.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Lentil sloppy joes. Send me a message offlist if you would like the recipe.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Oriental chicken salad: 1 head lettuce, 1 can chow mein noodles, 2 cups leftover cooked chicken, 1 grated carrot, bit of diced onion, and a vinegar/oil/soy sauce/ginger/salt & pepper dressing
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I love buying a whole chicken and making it into two meals for my family. The first night we have roasted chicken (about 4-6 ounces each), and roasted root veggies. Then the next day I take the rest of the meat off the chicken and make homemade low sodium chicken noodle soup with it!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I don't think it's hard at all. I do it every day. My favorite is spinach and talpia with steamed carrots.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• we do a chicken stir fry for very little money. for the sauce for the kids i just use a little soy sauce and lemon juice. we buy a huge bag of brown rice from costco, and we usually get the boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.99/ lb. i just use what ever veggies we have around.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Spaghetti or a frozen pizza
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• For OBBYDOBBIE............... Refreshing to see the site the Earth Burgers link sent me to. I follow pretty much the same plan. I cannot digest heavy meats and Find Chicken ok from time to ttime. I do like the basic concept of a burger (not the meat) but the different layers of flavor, but nowhere in that site did I find a receipe for Earth Burgers. Mentally now, I am dying for one. HELP!!!! LOL
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 12:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2010