Ripped knees on jeans

My 8 yr old destroys his clothes and shoes. He has had a pair of Vans and a pair of Sketchers in the last 2 months that he has just shredded. For safety and aesthetics I replace the shoes but...he keeps putting holes in the knees of his jeans!!! Every single pair has a lovely hole in one knee. These are not cheap old jeans. These are newer pairs from Macy's. I have been letting him go to school with holey jeans because I refuse to spend another penny on pants since the weather is warming up. Is this horribly horribly tacky???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i tried the iron on patches, but they came off in the wash. i get jeans with reinforced knees, but still we get holes. my son is not nearly as hard on clothes as yours...but i have one that may be in the future. i just bought payless tennis shoes for the first time, imo, it is not worth spending less on the shoes. i cant believe your son went through the vans and skechers so quickly! shop at kohls so you can get those shoes on sale, and always check the clearance shoes too, you may be able to buy in advance.
    i don't think there is anything wrong with sending a boy to school in holy jeans : )
    it sounds like he has a ton of fun!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• What I do is have a pair of "junky" jeans so if he's staying at home or playing with his friends or whatever he wears those, but if he's going out he wears his nicer ones. That seemed to slow down the holes, not totally get rid of, but I'm not buying jeans nearly as often. Do the same with the shoes.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I think its fine. My son cut holes in every one of his school uniform shirts. I fixed the first two, but when he kept doing it, I stopped. Until he can stop cutting up his clothes, he is going to wear them just like that to school. I am not going to buy a whole new set of uniform shirts because he cut the other ones up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My son always had the same problem. All his old jeans have no knees. LOL I bought iron on patches and put them on the inside of the pants when they were new. It cut back on issues. I also bought leans with reinforced knees.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I think it is JCPenny that has a "gaurentee on there jeans, check into that. You get to keep exchanging them. Plus, it's almost hot outside so cut them off and make play shorts.
    Anonymous

• I think it's Sears that sells a brand of jeans with reinforced knees (called Toughskins, or something?). It's so close to summer I wouldn't go out buying new pairs of jeans unless you think he may be able to wear them in the fall too. We definitely do "school clothes" and "play clothes" too.

Answer by missanc at 2:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My kids wear uniforms to school but my son has worn pants with holes to school because I didn't have money to replace them and he didn't tell me they were ripped until that morning. That was in kindergarten and they had a carpeted room so he went through 6 or 7 pairs of slacks that year. It was crazy.
    With his jeans...he wears them until they don't fit or the holes become so big they are a disaster. If I can I cut the legs off and make shorts for the summer. Eventually I have to buy him a new set of jeans. Even my girls wear jeans with holes in them (I think they look cute).
    But, if he wore his jeans to school he would wear whatever pairs weren't ripped before the ripped ones. My dd used to go to public school and only once wore ripped jeans...because they were her only clean pair left that fit. It was just one of those things. Outside to play...I don't really care.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2010