Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wages being garnished for ex's medical bills

My soon to be ex-husband ran up medical bills without my knowledge. The first I heard of this was when I was served with papers saying my wages were being garnished. I did get a copy from the credit collection place and its over $5,000 worth of medical bills of his. I live in North Dakota. Can I now take this back to court and ask that it be vacated now that we are divorcing and I can not afford to support my two children with this much of my wages being taken?
Who do I go to for this? What are the steps to take to get it stopped from coming out of my paychecks? Even if they split it 50/50 do I get to stop paying after half?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (1)
  • Put the debt in the divorce papers then send a copy to the creditor. Your divorce attorney will explain what to do if there is more involved. I've never heard of garnishment for medical bills. They are not even considered when behind and buying a house (my mortgage co told me that when they saw I had defaulted on many medical bills). In answer to your 50/50 will they stop at your half? No, if you keep this as is they will go where the money is to collect and that's you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.