so you have to breastfeed for the "right" reasons now too

Last night I watched 16 & pregnant -- and the mom said she was planning on breastfeeding because it was cheaper...and I guess since she didnt go into a big long speech about how its better for the baby, alot of people are mad ( tons of remarks on forums and such)....

I mean most people would agree that it is better than formula, but does everyone who breastfeeds , need to only do it because its better for the baby and not mention the fact that they are doing it because its cheaper.

IMO this girl was a great mom and took very good care of her baby, but no one made a point of saying that !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• To me, cost is a very good reason!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Honestly, that is why I was really serious about breastfeeding this time around. DH was out of work for a few months while I was pregnant and being behind on bills when she got here, there was no way we could afford formula. I didn't think I would make it, actually make it work. (I only breastfed my other 2 kids for 3 months and 1 month) She is 8 months now and we are still going strong. I am so glad that I don't have to worry about having money for formula. In that way, breastfeeding for me is a great stress reducer and a blessing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• that is a HUGE reason, and to me, just as important.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My only reason was health. LOL I didn't even think about it being cheaper...I guess I had a blonde moment. Haha
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Unbelievably what some people will complain about!!! Just FEED THE KID!!! Why does anyone care how someone else feeds their kids as long as they're feeding them!!!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 12:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Why do we care? Because when you poison someone, and it causes other health conditions that later have to be paid for by society, it is EVERYONE'S concern.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Holy crap, if I hear one more person call formula poison I think I might scream.

If you've ever bought formula, you'd agree with her. I don't care if you BF or FF, just feed your damn kid.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 12:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Cost is the ONLY reason I nurse!

Really.

My budget cannot afford formula.

All the rose tinted stuff about breast is best, healthier babies, blah blah blah . . . . . that's all it is . . . . .blather.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I breast fed my son for 4 months because I learned that it was better for him, however I switched him to formula because that was also the best thing for him when I could no longer produce the milk he needed from me, plain and simple. To BF or FF is a personal choice and neither way is better than the other-and I agree she was a great mom!
    Anonymous

• Good question. In many other countries breast milk is the only option as they cannot afford formula. Of course, that is providing that Mom is able to nourish her own body enough to produce the milk.
    Anonymous