How do you get your toddler to sleep in his/her own bed?

I have a two, almost three, year old boy who will not sleep in his own bed. This has been going on for a very long time now and it is starting to drive me crazy. Sometimes he will fall asleep like on the couch, and I will put him in his bed. When he wakes up in the middle of the night, he climbs into bed with me. I have shut his door to his room where he cant get out if he wakes up, but that just made me feel horrible because he is screaming and wants out. I dont feel right "locking" my son in his room. I try telling him he needs to be a big boy like "Caillou" ,off PBS SPROUT, and sleep in his own bed. That only works for a few minutes. Does anyone have any suggestions? THANKS

Cassandra8187

Asked by Cassandra8187 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You just have to keep putting him in his bed everytime he gets up. Yes, it makes for a LONG night with not much sleep but you have to do it to get him back in his bed. My daughter started coming in my room in the middle of the night a few months after she turned 2. I was pregnant and had HORRIBLE morning, noon & night sickness and I didnt want to get up to move her into her room so I would let her get in bed with me. The day after the baby was born I broke the habit. If she came in my room, I would get out of bed, hold her hand and lead her to her bed. She would fight & scream at me but I would keep doing it til she laid down. It only took a few nights and then it clicked and she got it that she wasnt coming in my bed anymore
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2010