How many times are you aloud to adopt a year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Adoption

• I don't know, but my hubby and I would love to adopt just one!! I don't know who could afford to adopt more than once every few years, besides Angelina Jolie!!!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 12:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The general rule is you have to have a child placed in your home for 6 months before you can finalize the adoption. Unless you are a foster home you most likely will not have more then 1 child/siblings placed at a time. Therefore the math really allows for 1 per year unless a sibling would be placed part way thru placement.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• OP here. Not talking about foster care Adoption.
    Anonymous

• Consult an attorney, it varies by state. There are some states where you are not allowed to have more than one adoption pending which actually includes foster adoption or domestic. You may already know that some states take a year or two to finalize the adoption.

It is one of the reasons why some PAPS do not foster while waiting for DIA, it can make the DIA impossible.
    Anonymous

• I believe that some agencies (or is it international adoption) require 18 months between placements. It gives each child a chance to bond with their family. I hope I am remembering that right, could be wrong.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• For IA it depends on the country... China requires one year between dossiers..Period.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• OP Here. We have been chosen to Adopt a child. The child will be born at the end of the month. If I was blessed enough to be chosen again soon (within the year) would I be able to adopt?
    Anonymous

• allowed not aloud
    Anonymous

• You would be able to get the child within the year maybe not complete the adoption, though. Adoption is adoption no matter how the child is placed. You would have to consult the agency or the attorney your going through.
    Anonymous

• you still have to wait 6 months (DEPENDING on what country) to finalize an adoption.

And each agency will have it's own set of rules.......they are probably the one to ask :)

We adopted from India and met a boy while we were there that we wanted to adopt. Now 16 months later we are finally moving forward for hi adoption!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 6:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2010