Why is the Catholic Church blaming the child victims of the abuse scandal for being sexually abused by priests?!?!?

I personally find this appalling and disgusting. Links to follow since one can't make hyperlinks in this box.

yogapantz

Asked by yogapantz at 12:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• When the church did nothing that tells me that they did not at least blame the priests. So the victims recieved no justice, no resolutions, and no closure. That is the controversy. The abusers are still under the Popes wing. Terrible. By not administering justice, its like the Pope is ok with it. Really sad.

As far as marriage and pedophiles, you can NOT compare the two. Marriage is between 2 consenting adults versus the Rape of a child. Im sorry but I can stand the hypocrisy of it all at childrens expense.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• the same reason people blame the rape victim for being raped. society is fucked
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Anonymous

• yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 12:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I wasn't aware that they were "blaming" anyone, but I personally blame the Catholic church!!! A man is meant to marry! They have "needs"! The Bible itself says that it is not good for man to be alone. They say that Peter was the first "preist" and that's the example they follow...well.....he had a Mother in Law!!! Who would take a Mother in Law if they weren't at least getting the benefits of a wife!!! hahahaha I think they've created their own mess due to un-biblical practices.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 12:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• This is what the Pope actually had to say about the abuse

Article

Anybody who is Catholic can make a statement it doesn't mean they speak for the Catholic Church.  The sources in the articles  are not in line with what the Church has actually said. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world-news/pope-truly-sorry-for-sexual-abuse-by-irish-priests_100337273.html

No one is blaming the victims of sexual abuse.  I like every other parent want any pedophile to be arrested.  I believe the abuse in the Catholic Church is the same as sexual abuse everywhere, schools, churches, homes.  They say one in four people are sexually abused, this isn't just happening in Catholic Churches.  Pedophiles hide out where ever they can have easy access to children and where they can gain peoples trust easier.  We know more about sexual predators now then ever before so the way we deal with pedophiles has changed too.  I'm a mother, and I know I want all pedifiles locked away for life because I know now they can't be rehabilitiaed.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• This is just more proof that these men are no men of Yahweh, and that they are pretenders of the faith. Yahweh says it best when he describes them as wolves in sheep's clothing, and false teachers. But let us not just blame one denomination there are several cases like this all throughout each denomination. This teaches us to learn the word for ourselves because we are all responsible for our OWN salvation. I would not rely on any one but the Messiah who is the only teacher to lead me there. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• If you think this is only a problem of the Catholic Church go to family watch dog and see how many convicted sex offenders live near your home, its chilling. In decades past most of these people would never have been arrested for their crimes let alone tracked by the police. We treat pedifiles more aggressively now because we know more, same goes the the Catholic Church.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• They are not blaming the victims, now they are blaming homosexuals linking it to the pedophiles, instead of facing the fact that the pope didn't act properly in handling the situation and shuffling it under the rug. I guess this is what happens when there is Vatican law to protect them.

Answer by older at 12:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2010