Potty Training Question!!! PLEASE HELP!

Hi there! My son, who may or may not be a little young, is starting to tell me poopy. Now he is almost 21 months. He received a potty around Christmas time, at 15 months. I've been teaching him about it, and he is quite interested in it. I haven't been drilling it in his head or anything. He peed in it once, never again, and I think it was just coincidental. But anyways, recently started telling me "potty" and points to his diaper and says pooooop. (lol.) But he'll tell me poop before he poops. Do you think its time I start making it habit of putting him on the potty? Where should I keep the potty? (Our only bathroom is upstairs.) How do I begin?? Any and all suggestions are welcome!!! :)

NickysMomma888

Asked by NickysMomma888 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, get him started!! When he tells you pooop, take him to the potty (I would recommend still leaving it in the bathroom.. get him used to it). Also, my biggest recommendation for potty training is to keep him in undies during the day (besides naptime) because a lot of kids get irritated and uncomfortable if they wet their pants and will do what it takes to stay dry.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Oh, also I forgot the BIGGEST piece of advice: BE CONSISTENT!!!!
    Anonymous

• Congratulations!!! Little man..

Also encourage him, praise him but never force him.

I would try it sounds like he wants too. Try to keep it in the bathroom because you don't want him to think he can poop anywhere, lol. When you go pee, have him sit with a book next to you, on his potty. We did that.

Good luck!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• get him a stool & put cheerio in the toilet water for a target, he should find it to b a fun game & will want to do it all the time
    militarymom0106

Answer by militarymom0106 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2010