Do you agree? Why should we care if someone breastfeeds or not?

This just in from a different thread:
Why do we care? Because when you poison someone, and it causes other health conditions that later have to be paid for by society, it is EVERYONE'S concern.
(in reference to formula) Agree or disagree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• ObbyDobbie, I'm not saying reastmilk isn't the best option, I'm saying some women DO get high and mighty about it. I've had women on cafemom on baby and pregnancy groups flat out tell me and other moms we are BAD parents because we plan to or do formula feed. My medications are dangerous and when my daughter was born my breastmilk was causing her to have low blood sugar to the point where she could have died or had seizures. For me it's NOT an option. Would I have if I was able to? YES in a heartbeat. But in my case formula was the safe option for my daughter.

BUT it's true that some moms out there don't care if there are medical reasons for not breastfeeding, they will automatically tear you to shreds & be cruel if you mention the word "formula" and that's what I mean about high and mighty. It's okay to suggest to a woman to stick it out and breastfeed if she can, but it's NOT ok to belittle or judge if they can't
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Pot stirrer....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Why, thank you for quoting me.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• ^ LOL.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Oh brother....poison huh? Well my medications that are necessary for me are poison for my baby, but I should just breastfeed her and KILL her to satisfy the Tyranical "Breast is best" mothers who seem to think anyone who doesn't do exactly what they do are bad mothers who will rot in hell.

I'm so sick of the high and mighty crap.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• BTW, I agree.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Disagree. Formula is not poison no matter what a few people try to say. Not to mention is it were poison, it's legally allowed poison so really it's no one's business.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 12:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Has nothing to do with high and mighty... nor does it have anything to do with it being done "my" way.

Our bodies make milk to support our young- man makes formula to flip a buck, and can not replicate what the human body produces. It ought to be interesting to see how formula will affect the evolution of our species. Wait, I meant to say sad.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I don't think it's anybody's concern on how a woman decides to feed her baby! Sure, formula is not as good as breastmilk, but when breastmilk isn't an option, formula works great! Besides, you can't tell a breastfed baby from a formula fed baby!!! Why can't we just leave this alone???
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• it is not at all high and mighty to say that breast is best. after all, isn't that what the cans of formula say too? i believe cows milk is meant for baby cows. i think cows milk, dehydrated to powder and mixed with synthetic "nutrients" is indeed poison. if it were just as good, then why is there constant research trying to improve it? i think all moms need to understand that just because milk is not dripping from their breasts, does not mean that they are out of milk. many women have said they dried up, and switched to formula. i think all women need to know what medications they are putting into their bodies, and need to fully explore alternative solutions...because once you head down that medicated path it is difficult to go down a new path. it really does seem that breast fed babies are not the ones given tylenol, and motrin, running fevers, having ear aches....
    there are so many ingredients that used to be in foods that
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2010