what to do about a constipated baby??

my son has been constipated and having a really hard time going that he cries through the whole thing and only gets a little out. he is six months and is on solids he is nursed but does not like to nurse during the day maybe once at the most. what can i do for him? what can i give him food or juice wise? i really dont want to do medicine! thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would try some of the Earth's Best Prunes baby food
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• pears are a good thing to feed him when he is constipated. i give my daughter pears at least once a day and she hardly is constipated. be aware that bananas make them constipated a little and too much pears isn good either.
    you can call dr and ask what they think too,
    good luck
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• He should just barely be eating at 6 months and getting most of his nutrients from nursing. Nursing once in the day at 6 months is not enough. You need to nurse him before offering solids. Are you giving formula during the day? If all he's getting is just 1 nursing session a day and he's not even taking a bottle, that is not enough fluids or nutrients for him. Get him to nurse more often, make sure the solids he does get are quality veggies and fruits (no process food or dairy). Also, as said before you can give baby food prunes.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Give your baby more fiber on a daily bases. It will help. Apple juice, carrots, anything in the green family, green beans, peas.
    Anonymous

• He needs more fluids... it doesn't sound like you're nursing a lot. Are you supplementing with formula? If not, try nursing more, cutting back on the solids (which he's not ready for a lot at this age), and introduce more fiber to his diet. In the meantime, get some glycerin suppositories. My daughter was really bad constipated a while back and those helped her right away.
    Anonymous

• He can have pureed foods at 6 months contrary to certain responses you're getting. It just should not the be majority of his food. Most of his nutrients should come from formula or breastmilk, I believe you're doing the latter. You could try a container of prunes. Gerber makes those in their First Foods line. It's a small container about 2 ounces. You could also try a little apple juice, it's fine around this age. But I can tell from my experiences in this situation prunes work wonders. You might also check with his doctor to make sure what to do.
    Anonymous

• I know for my son I was told by his doctor to use a easy lax (a baby supository) sorry if I spelled it wrong. We tried prune juice and other things this was the only thing that helped and he didnt cry at all he seemed happy after .
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 2:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Sounds like too many solids. He CAN have solids, but they shoudn't be most of his diet. Nure more...always offer the breast before solids. He will soon "get" that he doesn't get solids till he's nursed.

Think of breastmilk as his chicken and peas, solids as his chocolate cake. Nobody gets cake till they've finished their chicken and peas.

Increased nursing is your BEST course. You can also switch out the solids he does get to prunes...but AFTER nursing. Nurse first, solids after all the way to the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2010