how do i get my 3 year old son to go on the potty when he just doesnt care?

My son is in Daycare and the teachers tell me they try but he just sits there and says he is done when he didnt do anything. Also i try to grab him when he starts to do number two and put him on the potty and sometimes it works but sometimes it doesnt. i have tried cheerios but he doesnt want to stand. he has watched daddy go and mommy. i have tried reading to him. i have tried sticker charts i even try a prize basket. nothing seems to help. i don't want him to have problems as he gets older. i am desperate for help. what do i do?

bellajd84

Asked by bellajd84 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know this is VERY hard to hear but... if he isnt ready or willing, then there is nothing you can do:( My son was 4 1/2 by the time he decided to finally "get" it and when he did, it only took one day. My daughter was potty trained at 2 1/2... so all kids are different. But I can say that my son didnt stand for the first few months and there is nothing wrong with that. He will eventually learn to pee standing up so if he wants to sit right now, then let him:) Just give it another month and then try for a few days and see if he is more ready & willing
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• If it helps, I'm in the same boat.. My son is 3 and while he'll go sometimes (almost always successful right before his bath), he just isn't interested. You don't mention if you're using pullups vs underwear but if you're using pullups, try putting regular underwear on first then the pullup. He'll feel wet but with less mess for daycare. My plan at this point is to simply stop using pullups at all when he's home (he goes to school 4 mornings a week) and spend lots of time outside... The flyer I just got from our doctor's office today after my son's 3 yr checkup says it isn't uncommon for kids not to be trained until 3 1/2 or 4 (despite what you might read on Cafemom...)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I disagree completely with the first poster and I honestly think that waiting until age 3 or 4 is why they aren't interested, why would they be when they are so used to their diapers by now. IMO, you need to be firm, take away diapers completely. Yes there will be accidents but this is how they learn. You are giving him the choice to do it or not and he is choosing not to, take away that choice and he will have to learn. I am sure you will get responses about how awful it is to "force" your child to potty train but I disagree, toddlers are obviously not old enough to make certain decisions for themselves and this is one of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• thank you for all your responses. i really want to just put him in underwear but i am concerned becasue he goes to daycare and it might be hard to do that. i will defiantly try it when i am home. especially on the weekends.
    bellajd84

Answer by bellajd84 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Ask the daycare if they would be willing to just risk him having accidents if you just do underwear? As long as you have enough exrtra clothes with him, they shouldn't mind. Doing underwear only on certain days isn't going to help either. It's one or the other or he will just get confused. I promise he will catch on wearing only underwear, we did it with our son at 18 months and never turned back. Good luck!
    Anonymous