Is she missing her daddy?

My husband left for Florida yesterday afternoon with his dad for a few days, and since then, our 5 month old daughter has been really fussy. Could she maybe be missing her Daddy? He usually puts her in bed a night, and last night it took longer than usual to put her to bed. And today she's been really fussy all day. Could it just be a coincidence, or does she just miss him?

AirForceWife14

Asked by AirForceWife14 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think she misses daddy. You would be amazed at what baby's know, she knows he is not around.

I would have the talk on the phone, or at least have daddy talk to her wish her nighty or what ever he normally does.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Maybe she doesn't get the same calming vibes from you as she does from him so yeah she could be missing what he gives her.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, she probably misses her dad. I think that's sweet!! 5 month olds know a lot more of what's going than some might think! You could try to have him call (great idea from KFree907) or maybe wear his shirt when putting her to bed (so you smell a little like him). Don't worry too much about it, though. You're not "daddy" but mommy is pretty nice too, and I'm sure that she likes the extra comfort you are giving her until he gets back.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• AAAWWWW That is sweet ♥♥♥♥
    Not easy for mama though, sorry.

Men hold babies differently, and if she is use to certain things or people to do certian things it can confuse them.

I agree with all PP.

ALSO, honey....
    don't let this hurt your feelings, it is just what she is use to.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• That is so sweet. I do believe she misses her daddy! My daughter is that way with her dad. Kinda hurts my feelings sometimes but then i look at them together I realize she is one lucky girl to have such a great dad! You seem to be one lucky lady! Have a great day!
    JillCooper

Answer by JillCooper at 12:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• yep sound like she is missing her daddy
    latinmama511

Answer by latinmama511 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Could be a touch of a tummy bug too! Maybe it's gas. Anything that changes in the routine can cause fussy baby syndrome. I don't think she actually misses him because I don't think at that age she can contemplate the fact that he's gone. She knows he isn't there right now, but to her 3 days and 3 minutes are no different. So I don't think I'd go so far as to say she misses him the way you do, but she knows he isn't there and in that way she misses him. But for all the difference to her, he could just be in the bathroom.
    I think I'd check for a more physical cause to the fussy behavior.

But then again, when mine was a toddler, my husband was deployed to parts unknown for months at a time, so I may not be the best judge on whether or not a child of that age can actually form the 'missing daddy' vibe.
    You'll know when he comes home for sure!! See how she reacts when she sees him. In the meantime, hug her twice as often .
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 3:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Could be teething too. Or feeding off your stress.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2010