Quick cleaning help question - PLEASE my MIL will be here tomorrow!

We just bought this old place and planned to completely remodel it - It's got 1990s blue carpet throughout - I can't seem to get the 'musty-old-dirt" smell out of the house and I just know it's the carpet. I've done the Arm&Hammer 'Pet Fresh", I shampooed it like 2 months ago ( I don't have time to do THAT again)- Of course I've vacuumed, etc. How the hell can I mask what I think is a musty-old-dirt smell while she is here???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Get some plug ins and put around the house.
    Anonymous

• Yeah plug ins or candles or febreeze.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Well I would recommend a product called X-O deodorizer which elimates smells from everything, walls, furniture, carpets....but I don't think it's sold in stores....I know it's sold online and at QVC, at the very least I'd try Febreeze and open the doors and windows to air it out.

Other than that pull up a corner of the carpet and see what's under it...perhaps you have wood floors and you can just rip it up and clean the floor.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• baking soda will help start scrubbing woman good luck!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Don't you love wood. Get rid of that thing!!!
    Anonymous

• I wonder if spraying the carpet lightly with vinegar water would help?
    www.vinegartips.com
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 1:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Do all that you can as suggested above and if all else fails, enlist MIL for other ideas after explaining the situation. It will make her feel useful and that you entrusted her to ask for this advice. : )
    Anonymous

• OP here... Some of Y'all are funny - I have less than 24 hours there's NO way I'm gonna be able to pull 1900 sq ft of carpet up in 1/2 a day and get whatever is underneath looking good. LMAO Believe me I thought about it when I got the call last night! We were just gonna live with it till we finished other major projects (no sense in putting new carpet in a house you're about to gut, ya know) Geez, can't MILs have THE worst timing!
    Anonymous

• If it were me and I was pressed for time like that, I would go buy some really good smelling candles and put one or two in each room. Hope you find something that works for you!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I'd go heavily on the Febreeze. If MIL mentions the smell, just say "What smell?" and STICK TO YOUR STORY! Good luck.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2010