Better off than you parents?

I think most of us want better for our children. Better education, opportunities, finances, etc. Are you and your family doing better, same, or worse, so far?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• financially, worse... my dad made 6 figures working for Ford
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I have a better education than both my parents but they were better off financially. Then again they were in debt too and I'm not. They lived very well while I live frugally. It all works for me. They are dead now so it doesn't even matter anymore. They couldn't take it with them.
    Anonymous

• Much better. By my age my mom was divorced twice,on welfare,and going nowhere fast! (37)
    Anonymous

• I am definately doing better than my parent, I was "given away" by my parents to my grandmother at 23 days old. My mom fought for me when I was 11, I was a runaway at 15. My dad has nothing really to show for himself, he rarely speaks to me, he also used to beat the crap out of my mom when they were together. I have 4 beautifl kids, a great job and going to school, a good marriage (not perfect but solid) and my kids have a nice home to come home to, we are disfuntional at times but we love each other and we make sure the other knows that-so yah I am blessed and I am definately doing better than my parents were!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I am doing much better than my parents. I am happily married and my husband works hard to support us and allow me to be a sahm. Growing up we didn't have much at all in my family and it was hard.
    cheez1e

Answer by cheez1e at 1:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• worse, but we're about the same as where they were at when they were our age. My dad pulls six figures and we're only in our mid-20's but since I plan to work and DH is a great employee, I'm exicted for our future
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 1:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• So far, better.
    By the time my mom was my age (and i'll be 23 in 4 days) she had a 6 1/2 year old a 4 1/2 year old and was about to pop me out. Her first two were from a different father then myself and she wasn't married yet (but would later get married and then divorced). She was on welfare, wasn't "allowed" to go to school (thanks to my BF) and just plain felt lousy about her whole life.

I am (almost) 23. I have never given birth. I am adopting a child, and raising a stepson. Married to an Army man and NOT on welfare. Was going to school before my wedding and am highly encouraged to go back asap. AND have enough money saved to put a down payment on a house. ...Yea. I guess i'm doing pretty good for a person raised in poverty by a single mother of 4 (she had another child after me).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• We are doing better. DH and I both have Master's degrees, he is going back to get a doctorate. My Dad has a BA but my Mom never went to college. I already make about $20,000 more per year than my Mother does at her current job. However, housing prices are WAY more expensive than when they bought their places. It is much more difficult for even a financially stable couple to own a nice house where I live. And health insurance is way more expensive. Back in the 80's my parents paid out of pocket when they had us and it only cost them about $200!!!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My parents both came out of incredible poverty, but both did really well for themselves as young adults. My husband and I work much harder and are no where near as financial stable as my parents are. The sad thing is my husband and I both have post-secondary education and my parents do not.
    Anonymous

• Probably about the same as my parents maybe a little worse but we are still young. We are doing way better than my inlaws. My husband grew up very poor.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2010