AH! I hate when he wont back me up....

Our neice (10 y/o) and nephew(7 y/o) are staying with us for a few days ( husbands, brothers kids, who MIL raises) ..... they are obbsessed with the computer and I planned on not letting them on it while they were here....

Last week they both took a credit card out of MIL's purse and thier dads wallet and tried to buy things off of the computer....of course they didnt get in trouble at all ( MIL and their dad does not disicpline them, and therefore they act horribly) I love them but I cannot stand to watch them...

Anyways I am the one who is taking care of them all day ( plus my kids and will also be taking care of one of my friends sons as well) . I told them they can play int he yard, in the toy room, we can do crafts, they can watch a movie but I said we dont get on the computer because I cant trust them ( since what they did at MILs) ..So they told my husband and he told me ( in front of them) * continued*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• to let them on the computer because thats what they like to do...and also it will keep them out of my hair ( which it would) ...... but I have no intentions on letting them ( or should I ) ...I dont want to be the mean aunt they dont want to visit ( or wait maybe i do lol) ...... but I hate when my husband underminds me especially in front of the kids....
    Anonymous

• yeah, your dh shouldnt have went against what you said. the kids *seem* to be used to getting their own way and your dh just made it possible for them to get their own way at your house too.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 1:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Remind him that is not good, and they will not respect you if he does.
    Let them know your house rules are your house rules, you should not be punishing them for what they did at someone elses house.I would not completely take them off just give them a little time on it. When your doing crafts with the kids one can go on at a time as long as you can see what is going on.

Remember you are not them and they need to learn your house rules. That is like saying your husbands n and n can have ice cream before dinner but your kids can't. House rules apply to your house. Good luck...

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• oppps cont. when I said remember your not them, I meant your not your MIL and BIL and the kids will love you just as much, but respect you even more if you show them displine.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• He probably wasn't seeing it as undermining you, but trying to help you as he sees it as keeping them busy and out of your hair. As for your computer, if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 you can lock anyone out of the computer during different times. You can also password protect your computer so that no one without the password can log into the computer. As for the credit cards, make sure that your purse is put where they can't find it.

Good luck with everything.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Make staying away from the computer fun not a punishment. Since they sound addicted like so many other children, if you give them time then limit the time and hide the credit cards.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• If you're the one watching the kids, not DH, then you get to decide what they do. End of story.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

This exactly.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2010