what would be considered a "pre existing" condition?

if i had seizures when i was a kid (nearly 12 yrs ago) but have been seizure free all this time is that a pre existing condition or would that be a history? i still take meds for it but only because i want to feel safe. I am asking for insurance reasons. Having problems getting my meds filled.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Health

• What causes the seizures?
    Anonymous

• I am not 100% sure. But if you are still taking seizure medication. It would be a pre existing condition. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• they never knew, the doctor said maybe puberty.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I believe they would consider that to be a pre exsisting condition. Any condition that you had prior to the insurance is considered preexsisting...wether is be 2 years ago or 20 years ago. Sad.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• yes it would be pre-existing...especially since you are still recieving treatment for it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i don't recieve treatment. I only take medication given to me by a family doctor.
    Anonymous

• Taking medication for some thing still means you have the problem. Have you ever tried to stop taking the meds to see what would happen? If you do not have seizures/Epilepsy, why are you still taking the medication?

Answer by louise2 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• because i'm scared i may have one. That medication stopped the seizures. I never had one again after i started that medication and i'm afraid if i was to not take it i could risk having one. What if i was to stop taking it and have a seizure while driving or something?
    Anonymous

• It would be considered pre-existing. Since insurance companies can't wait to deny newborns, pregnant women, abuse victims and anyone who had the sniffles when they were 3 for having a pre-existing condition, I'm fairly sure they would think an diagnosed seizure disorder for which you are still being treated counts.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 3:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Any condition that has been treated in the last five years is pre-existing. People have been denied cancer coverage because they did not report treatment for acne.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2010