what to do about mom? she drives me crazy

my mom thinks I'm nuts for getting my 3 yr cavities filled " why they just fall out anyway, your crazy" she said.. grr I hate it when she talk to me like that. So I told her well the cavity would spread & start to hurt maybe get an infection.. two issues here they way my mom talk to me ( all the time) drives me insane second how can I get her to respect me more without blowing up in her face, third would you get you kids teeth fixed? or just allow it to get worse? I love my mom to death but I only go over if i need her to sit or if there is a celebration I don't go just because anymore, because I hate the way she talk to me. I have tried to tell her, tried to ignore it, even blew up once or twice..

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 2:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I would get my child's teeth fixed, in fact definitely have on baby teeth before and yes, they did eventually fall out. But in the meantime, risked no further decay in neighboring teeth or permanent teeth below, avoided gum problems, as well as infections into the jawline. Win-win if you ask me.

Regarding the Mom, you gotta just love em. : ) They are who they are, just explain the best you can and do as you will at any rate. My Mom used to really grate my nerves from time to time, but since she has passed, what I wouldn't give for one of her phone calls, even if it were to give me a hard time about something.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry (hugs)see my mom was my best friend so this is hard for me to see. moms should support and celebrate their dd's, instead of hurting them. I dont have much advice except if you have spoken to her, try once more, and be clear. practice if you have to, and use blanket statements. blanket statements state your needs without being confrontational, and there is no doubt about them. example mom starts in and you say'thanks mom I have heard your advice, appreciate it, but this is my decision" then move on to something, if she pushes it, say the same thing, repeat it until she shut up lol. soon she will see that you will shut her down if she picks at you. other than that you may just have to limit contact with her honey, as sad as that is. on the phone if she starts in, say"oops so and so fell have to go mom bye bye" and hang up, do it each time and maybe she will see that her atittude is changing things with you.gl
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• oh and yes on the teeth ficing, for you and the kids. that hurts and it sets a bad pattern. infection can spread and who wants icky painful cavities.
    Bearsjen

• anon 15 is correct, i have MAJOR dental problems and had i gotten it taken care of (ha had i had the money) from the get go they wouldnt be as bad as they are now, this applies to baby teeth too and will spread to perment teeth, as for your mother ha if you firgure it out let me know
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 12:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• You are right in getting them fixed, besides the fact you should start them early at the dentist so phobia doesn't set in. As far as your mom is concern, just think to yourself she probably means well and still sees you as her little girl, you will find out soon enough that this is how we see our kids even though they are grown, smile and nod, and do not miss the opportunity to see her, you won't have a mom forever, and regardless of how much she can annoy you, there is only one MOM!

Answer by older at 6:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2010