We have a growing doctor shortage. How do you feel about this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100414/ap_on_he_me/us_med_dr_nurse

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's slightly misleading to use the title dr, and practice medicine, unless you are a medical doctor. I have nothing against nurse practioners, and have used them several times, but it is unfair to say that 7 years of training is equal to and deserves the same rights as 11 years of training. They should be supervised accordingly. I have had several instances where NP's were belligerant about being correct and were ultimately wrong.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Anonymous

• In the small town where I live, there are no longer any OB/GYNs. We must go out of town or else see our general practitioner for yearly PAPs. We have seen the shortage in this area pretty quickly.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 2:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• There are no doctors in our town, just an NP. If you are pregnant, you have to drive to another town. If you have a high-risk pregnancy, the nearest doctor that will see you is 4-5 hours away.

NPs may be okay if you have a cold, but in my experience they tend to order way too many tests. I had one see my son; a swollen lymph node and he was talking lymphoma and surgery. Another NP swore I had breast cancer and had me go through a battery of tests. No matter how many came back negative, she kept insisting. In both cases a MD looked at the same evidence and came up with a different conclusion.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Anonymous

• I live in a small town and cannot find a breast specialist or a gynecologist that isn't full up. I had to drive to Ames to find a doctor. There used to be more of them in our area but the malpractice insurance drove many out of business or into new fields of medicine. I have to see my breast doctor every 3 months so it is an inconvenience to drive over an hour to see them but my insurance is wonderful and reimburses for my mileage and gas for each trip. If I were to get pregnant I would have to drive the same distance for check ups since family doctors will not see pregnant patients again due to the costs of malpractice insurance. I love my small town and we will stay here.  I am frustrated there was no tort reform in the current health care bill. It might help with malpractice costs and help patients in the long run.  The bill wasn't about us sadly.

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Well, in the 90's the AMA predicted we would have a huge surplus of doctors so medical schools across the country voluntarily cut back enrollment... and haven't increased it. The other problem is that the surplus never happened... so now we're left with a shortage.

I think the schools should open up enrollment again.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Dr.s have been leaving PA for about 10 years now due to the insurance coverage they must carry. It is simply too expensive, especially for smaller practices

Insurers have forced dr.s into larger practices where the dr,s hardly know ya.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Do what other countries do. Legislate caps on payouts for malpractice suits and enable courts to refuse to hear frivolous cases, like women suing for stretch marks after pregnancy .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2010