Do you let your kids play in the street in front of your house

We dont live on a busy street. Speed limit is the standard 25m/hr but its not busy at all. I guess this is the reason I see so many kids using the street as a playground/park. People have their basketball hoops right by their sidewalk and playing basketball in the street. Kids riding their bikes racing each other. But what happens when a car comes along? These stupid kids DO NOT move out of the way. They expect you to drive around them. I think this is ridiculous. The other day I had to HONK to get this kid to get her out of the way. She saw me coming and wouldnt move. She just stood there looking at an oncoming car, expecting me to drive around her. She must have been 7 or 8 yrs old. Is it like this in your neighborhood and am I overreacting? I think it is very unsafe to not teach kids to respect the street. What do you guys think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have seen this before too and I agree. I can understand playing on quiet streets but they need to know enough to watch for cars and get the hell outta the way when they see one!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 2:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I do, but I live at the circle end of a cul-de-sac. Very little traffic, very short street, and very slow moving vehicles.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I let my kids ride their bikes in the street and play in the street when I am out there with them. They know when I yell "car!" they grab their bike/ball/scooter/whatever and move immediately. It is a cul-de-sac with about 8 buildings on it so there is very little traffic
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I think it is just like other issues... parents are not teaching their kids manners any more. How many times do you see a young boy or any younger kid open a door for someone now a days? Do you hear please and thank you when you are at stores? Do you see young people getting up to give a seat to an older person? There are too many parents NOT teaching their children common curtises.

Anonymous

• Depending on the age, my 11 and 14 year old do. My 6 and 7 year old play in the yard still.

Kids will be kids, and unless you are use to them or around them they can be annoying, but they don't think that is why you have to be the better person. I drive slow around my area and any residential area. You never know.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I live in a very nice neighborhood around a lake and I love that there are children running around and playing. Sometimes one will be out in the street to get the ball or whatever. It is my responsibility as an adult and a priviledged driver to watch for them. If you hate it so much get your fat lazy ass out of the car and walk.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like mom and dad aren't teaching kids road safety. I grew up on a street like that and there's nothing wrong with it - inf act it's kinda nice. But I was also taught to definitely never trust drivers. Our street now is busier than mine growing up but still not so busy but I won't let my kids play in the road, ever. ALL it takes is one driver who is going alittle too fast and not paying attention. a lot of drivers I have noticed dont pay much attention to driving when they are in their neighborhood .
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Sounds like a great place to grow up. I wish our street was like that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My son does, but, he is taught to get the heck out of the road. He looks before walking across. And to ANON, no, you should teach your kids to not sit in the street and wait for you to move. It is how the rules of the road work. Not kids in the street, so, I must walk. Stupid. My son also opens doors and says thank you and let's older folks sit. I believe all kids should be taught that. He is not taught that the world revolves around him. He is taught to handle himself in it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• When we lived on a dead end street,sometimes the boys would play football in the street.But when I let my son go out there to do that, I always sat outside to watch the.If the rare car came on down, I would make sure they all moved. I was like the street patrol,LOL. I am a paranoid when it comes to a kid being hit by a car, I was hit when I was a kid.
    But now we live on a country road where sometimes people shoot down the street doing 50 miles an hour.And my son asked me if he could ride his skateboard down the hill, I'm like..BOY ARE YOU CRAZY? Heck no.lol. The SO here though..he has no warning signals in his brain that says 'don't let kids in street with fast traffic' and he let my son go once while I was at the store. I was mad at him for 2 whole days. Hasn't happened again. I worry when I see these young 9-10 years old riding bikes down our street, there ar not even sidewalks!This isn't the horse and buggy days,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2010