Natural Birthing

I'm considering having a natural birth this go round. I had an epidural with all my others but they're getting less and less effective each time. With my last they used pitocin (before the epidural) to move me along and the contractions had me trembling uncontrollably. The pain was off the charts and the epidural never took. I've heard pitocin contractions are worse than natural ones? Can anyone attest to this?

Camey82

Asked by Camey82 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I can...I was in hard labor for a few hours, then, the doctor decided I needed pitocin...why? I don't know. The pain factor went up by 100% awful. I still didn't have the epidural. I had my son 7 hours after I started having contractions. 2 pushes. I still can't figure out why he thought I needed pitocin. My labor started on it's own and hadn't even been going long before he started it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Gee wiz! Doctors have some inherent need to be invasive for some reason. I don't get it. Thanks, that's reassuring.
    Camey82

Answer by Camey82 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Sorry, to be so not helpful. LOL With what I know now...I would refuse it. And, I would get out of bed and walk around. They won't tell me what is going to happen. I was 19 and not as informed as I thought I was. Only enough to refuse the epidural they kept pushing. I also wouldn't purple push anymore.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My first baby was natural - no pit, no epi. My 2nd was induced with something else (cervadil?), and again no epi. My 3rd was natural - no pit, no epi. My 4th was a pill & pit baby, with epi. 4th was a tiny amount of pit & epi.

The induced contractions were a helluva lot worse than the natural ones! The epidural really helped. If you're determined to have that baby pain-med-free, then don't let them give you anything to start or continue labor - my opinion of course, but having been through pretty much everything but a c-section, I can honestly say what was best for me. GL!
    Anonymous

• You and the baby are definitely better off without the epidural. Do some research on the dangers.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2010