i cannot afford childcare with my daycare over the summer. Its 165 dollars a week or 7.50 an hr./min 4 hours a day. I want to tell my boss that i only want to work weekends until school starts back. could i get fired for that?

i've been with the company for 2 yrs. they seem to let other people change their availability all the time and i have never changed mine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't think they can fire you for asking, but they can tell you it's not an option because they need someone to fill the hours that you currently work and they don't need any additional week-end help.
    Anonymous

• No they can't fire you for that

Answer by admckenzie at 3:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• thats why i'm nervous about telling my boss. I'm afraid they will say its not an option. I really have no other options because i've tried every other outlet for childcare. I have nobody reliable.
    Anonymous

• if you are not available for the shift or hours that they have available then yes, the can look for someone to replace you
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Look into FMLA
    Perfection1908

Answer by Perfection1908 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• nope, this will NOT qualify for FMLA.. it is not a MEDICAL leave
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Depending on the size of the company, you may qualify for FMLA (it does not need to be a medical issue). Contact me offlist if you have any questions

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Um, if you were hired to work certain hours, then YES they can let you go. Why would they keep YOU just because you need a different schedule. They can go find someone who truly wants to work the hours that are needed. YOU CAN'T just make up your own hours and schedule just because you want to. No one wants to work with that. I suggest you find a different job Honey.
    Anonymous

• it would only be temperary until my son goes back to school.
    Anonymous

• FMLA stands for "family MEDICAL leave act." If she or her children don't have a MEDICAL need, she will NOT qualify for FMLA. You qualify to care for a child after GIVING BIRTH, but that's about it as far as being home with the kids is concerned, UNLESS medically necessary. Imagine if we could get FMLA just for the reason of not being able to afford daycare? Wouldn't that be something!!

OP - Just ask your boss. That's all you can do. If you cannot afford the daycare, can you afford the HUGE pay cut you'll take? Make sure you consider that too.

Anonymous