I had a LEEP procedure done a year ago and my OB just informed me that my cervix will have to be measured every week starting at my 14 th week. He did not inform me of the large percentage of preterm labor. So now I am stressed and afraid to do anything that causes strain. Any advice on what I should discuss with my doc's or research for my benefit?

jenny93081

Asked by jenny93081 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• make them stitch your cervix shut! I went through the same thing. I was not made aware of the risk to future pregnancy when I had the procedure done originally. I went into labor at 10 weeks early it was stopped but two weeks later I went into labor again. She spent a month in the NICU! I don't want to scare you but please talk to your doctor about it. I felt like my issue was ignored.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 3:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• It's great that your OB is going to be checking you regularly. That way if your cervix begins to shorten he will do a cerclage and sew it shut. That will prevent preterm labor. You're lucky to have an OB like that, mine only checked my cervix length once and I feel that if something had gone wrong it would have never been caught. I had Cryosurgery though, not Leep.
    Anonymous

• I had a leep procedure done a year before I got pregnant with my twins and they were very cautious unfortunately I had alot of complications and one of them was shortening cervix...my boys were born at 24 weeks one passed away and the other is now a year old.....I am pregnant again...not planned and off the depo shot but they ut me at high risk because he's worried that all my complications where because of the leep procedure...so far I'm 18 weeks pregnant and everything is perfect....have faith and be optimistic. I hope eveything turns out great.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 7:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010