I need advice my 8 yr old son is a tattle tell

he's bossy too..maybe some would say this is learned behavior, but neither his father or I am that way and we remember what happened to kids in school who were that way...how can I teach him to not be that way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• My mom always said it's important for kids TO BE tattle tales. Her philosophy was that she will determine what's important and what's not. I liked that and so do my adult children with my grandkids. It only takes a moment to decide if it's worth responding to but we'd rather do that than to tell the child not to tell and someone being harming them (bully, molesting, showing them porn, etc). If you tell them not to tell then that puts the responsibility on them to decide what's important. They worry more about upsetting you so they keep things to themselves. That could be hazardous. They really do outgrow the tattling so I wouldn't worry about it.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• OP here, We have taught him all about dangers and inappropriate behavior he knows what's serious to tattle on but he tattles on little things harmless things and is bossy. He tries to be tough but he's being something he's not.
    Anonymous

• Is he really bossy? Or is he just a child who knows what he wants?

There is a difference but I know that it can be taken as bossy, my 8 year old is the same way, and while I feel what you are saying I would much rather have a child who knows what he wants then have a child who is a follower.

As to tattle tailing I always say that if a person is not bleeding or causing bodily harm I don't want to know, it can get very tiring to hear children tattle all day over everything, however that doesn't always stop it, they do eventually outgrow it...if that helps.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Lol, I think many kids go through this, my DD did. I finally got sick of it and this is what I did. Hope, is there blood? No. Hope, will there be blood? No. Then work it out Hope. She just had to learn what was important things to report and what was something she would have to work out. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2010