what to do about my 5 year old dd and her sucking her thumb and now wants a rag now to carry around..

Well first off she will be 5 the 29th. She all the sudden was sucking her thumb yesterday at my mom's house my mom told her to stop sucking her thumb (I didn't see her or I would have told her myself) so I then told her to stop that. I told a friend of mine which has a DD that plays with mine. She told me that someting must be bothering her to be doing that and that I should ask her what is bothering her. Well, this morning she was doing it again (she hasn't sucked her thumb since she was a couple months old), I told her to get her thumb out of her mouth I then asked what was wrong? She said nothing I said then why do you keep sucking her thumb? She said well Carlli does it (her friend that will be 7) then she said when she starts school she can have a chew rag like Carlli. I told her no I didn't know how to tell her or what to tell her. This girl has it was a pillow at one time now a rag she carrys it around (CON)

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• :) I think she is just wanting to be like her friend. My daughter told me today she wants glasses. Guess why? YUP her besties both have glasses. It is just human nature to want to fit in I think. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• with her and when she has it in her hand she sucks the thumb that she is holding it with. What do I say to my 5 year old that thinks she is going to get one when she stats school? She wants to start school she can't wait so it isn't she is scared I think she wants one because her friend has one.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• tell her she's a big girl. big girls do not suck thier thumbs and carr rags to school.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 3:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Okay I was a chornic thumbsucker,, I sucked it all of the time, so bad it was almost down to the bone! I did not have a bad childhood, it was just my way of self-soothing, DS twirls his hair. Anyway my Mom and Dad were on me all of the time, they put vinegar on it and tried everything, they too didn't want me to start kindergarten as a thumb sucker, finally they just said what will it take to get you to stop? I said a wagon, and each week they put $10 in a jar, until the end of the month, I had stopped! I still have that wagon, 35 years later!!! Please don't stress too much on her, the more anxious you get the harder it is to control. Truth be known when we lost our DD at birth,, I sucked my thumb when no one was around! God bless mommy and give her a hug from a reformed addict, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

I did tell her that, but then I thought would she understand that since her friend is 7 and carrys one?
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• kimigogo

wow thats neat you still have that wagon. But honestly it would probably be diffrent and I would approch it diffrently if she has always done this, but she just started this last summer, but hasn't done it since then she started it again yesterday
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• they have cayan flavored nail pollish called STOP for thumb suckers and nail biters.....it works as long as she doesnt like spicy foods. made my daughter stop nail biting.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• hmmmm not sure if it will work or not I can try sometimes she likes spicy foods other times she doesn't depends lol. If someone else is eating spicy foods is when she likes it otherwise she doesn't so I could try that
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I would buy her a pretty doll to play with instead. Since she is a big girl. Some kids need to have their blankies or whatever, but if she doesn't just tell her. Say, "I know that Carlli does those things, but those are behaviors that as we get older we grow out of. Since you don't need those things (outgrew them? never needed those things?) Lets do something that is special to YOU instead. How about we do something else?" Also tell her that Carlli may need those things right now, but when she is ready, she too will give them up. Reason with her. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 5:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• WHATKIDS
    she doesn't like baby dolls. She plays with barbies though?

mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2010