introducing new kitten to older kitten? help?

we just picked up a kitten that is very young almost 6 weeks... i dont even think it was supposed to leave its mama and it had an eye cold so we took it home to give it a better life... we have an older kitten about 8- 9 months old and when he came inside he saw it and started hissing and arching his back, this other kitten is believed to be a female... he did not attack her but ran away... im not sure if it will work out or how to get them to like eachother or anything i have never done this before...please help

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 3:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Pets

• I have lots of experience here. :O) For starters, give the new baby a bath. She will take on the smell of home that way and smell like she belongs there faster. After that, isolate them. Make a cage of two laundry baskets for the new baby, and put her in the thick of things. Pay lots of attention to your older baby, but mostly this protects her from him while he gets used to her being in his life. Try keeping them in separate rooms too, and switch that up. Uh..I have a laundry room, and my last new baby slept in there at night for his protection, which was beyond helpful. The big kids could check that out when he was in the cage during the day. Keep them separate but aware of each other for a few days, then you should be able to safely turn the baby loose, There may still be some friction for another day or so after she's freed, but before you know it, they will be inseparable.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• If you can get her fixed before she reaches sexual maturity, all the better. Not only do I have this theory it makes them hypo-allergenic to a degree (it's sure worked for me, I have 8 indoor cats and no more allergy issues than I have ever had with just one or two) but it will help create less tension between them as they get older. Especially if he is fixed, too. My quints and the twins were all fixed by 4 months (pushing 5 for RJ). In five years, they have never made a sexual move on each other, or on anything else (er, at least not until last January when Angel developed an unfortunate and unnatural obsession with Webkinz, which is a little disturbing.) My eldest was fixed after sexual maturity and he made the lives of his aunts miserable for YEARS because he had hormones enough to know what was what.

I journaled the Webkinz thing if you want to drop by and check it out. My fans feel it's a hilarious read. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Yes, the humane society told us to put new kitty in the bathroom for a couple days, then bring out the towel he's sleeping on and let old cat smell it. Also they can hear each other but not have access to each other and they suggest this for like a week or more. the above suggestions are good. you can't just toss them together. check w/ humane society or call a local vet for more tips. good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The pp's had good advice but I've never done it their way. I've always introduced the animals right away. The only time I've separated the big ones from the new ones, is when the kittens are small. For the first week or two, I'll lock the little ones up, just to make sure the big ones don't hurt them while I'm gone. As soon as I get home, I let them out to socialize. It works for me. Yes, there is hissing and carrying on, but it doesn't last any longer than it does when you originally separate them. I've never had one of the bigger ones actually harm the new ones.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 4:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The fact that this kitten is only 6 weeks old and has an eye infection it should not come incontact with the other cat until it is old enough to be tested for Feline leukemia and aids. If this kitten is sick it can pass it to the other cat. I would set the younger kitten up in a bed room away from your other cat until it has been seen by a vet. They can not be tested until they are at least 9 weeks but some vets prefer to wait until they are a few weeks older because if they are tested to young they can get a false reading.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2010