ive never seen my son like this ... maybe shots or teething?

yesterday he got his 6 month shots he was little fussy yesterday but actually hes been very clingy towards me .. dont get me wrong i love it .. but hes never been this way .. and today ..... oh my gosh he is horrible he was crying before i fed him his carrots and then after he was done with them he saw me go into the other room to get his bottle to fill it up and he just screamed and when i came back he was still crying and once i was done making his bottle .. i saw him on my bed and gave him it and he was crying and crying and then he finally took it and he fell asleep for a 2 mins and woke up when i took the bottle out of his mouth and then he just woke up and now hes fine layng next to me... ??? is this from pain from shots or teething ? i gave him some motrin 2 hours ago maybe 3 .. im confused ? this is my first child and not sure why hes acting like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First off stop giving him motrin - Tylenol is much safer, plus motrin isn't safe for under 6 months, so I didn't dare give it to my kids til they were older. It is most likely discomfort from the shots - my kids were always clingier with Daddy - mommy let the mean people hurt them, so Daddy was the "safe" person. He'll be out of sorts for a couple of days. If you're really worried about how he's acting, call your doctor.
    Anonymous

• does he have a temp? being clingy when a child doesnt feel that well is normal but be sure to watch for a bad reaction to the vaccines like a high temp or any regression
    motrin is fine!
    i have two children with autism and recently read a study that showed a higher usage of tylenol in the children with autism as infants then non autistic children so i no longer use tylenol
    Anonymous

• First anon is wrong. Motrin works better for pain, fever, and teething. That isn't just based on my personal experience, but also what my pediatrician said. Your baby is 6 months and that's the age you can start Motrin.

Some vaccines are worse than others and each baby reacts a little differently. My first 2 did fine with their 2 month old shots, but this 3rd baby did awful with them. That being said, I don't know if your baby is reacting to the shots or not. It would be best to give your pediatrician a call.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2010