Does anyone know ANYTHING about Group B Strep?

I found out that I'm positive for Group B strep... I'm really worried because they said that I would have to be treated with antibiotics during labor, and would have to stay a day longer at the hospital. I was just wandering if anyone had this or knows anyone who has? If so, any personal info would be awsome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Health

• Yes, I was positive for it, too. It is very common. Many women have it and sometimes it comes and goes. But antibiotics are a must. You'll have to have an IV, which sucks. I had to have a c-section, so it really made no difference, but I found out I had it at about 37 wks. I never heard anything about having to stay an extra day in the hospital.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I had it. Yes I had to have the antibiotics during labor (not a huge deal, just made it a pain when I had to go to the bathroom or something), but I didn't have to stay any longer. I do have to say, with my first child, at about 36 hours old, she started with some weird stuff, and they thought she was having a reaction to my meds, and transferred her - BUT the docs at the bigger hospital found out it was her heart. IMO it's worth it to have the meds rather than chance passing it to your baby - yes the risk is really low but it's still there. I've had 5 babies, btw, and did not test positive with all of them (only 3, so only had the antibiotics 3 times).
    Anonymous

• i did. i had the meds. didn't make a difference to me except the iv being a pain. baby was fine, no reaction, and i didn't have to stay any longer. don't stress over it. i didn't even think about it... it was the LEAST Of my worries!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• it is nothing more than a bacteria that grows on most people naturally. it is harmless.....accept to babies. all they do is give you ahigh dose of pinicilin(or a different wide spectrum antibiotic if you have allergies to pin) when you go into labor and the bacteria is dead by the time the baby comes. nothing to worry about. i tested positive with my youngest 2 kids.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i had it, but mine wasnt until after my daughter was born......dr's had to break my water..and they let me go for 16hrs before doing anything else, then i ended up havin an emergency c section, and both me and my daughter had group b strep. WAS NOT IMPRESSED!!!! i later found out that once your water breaks youre supposed to have your baby within 12 hrs, or theres risk of infection!! well yaaaaaa!!!!! but yaa, me and my daughter had to stay in the hospital for one week hooked up to an iv. sooo not fun!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• As they pp's have said, it is nothing to worry about. What it is is and OVERGROWTH of bacteria (all women naturally have bacteria, and it is good to have it). Just as your doc said you get IV during labor and stay an extra day in the hospital (which is actually nice because the nurses like to help :-) ) . Good luck, and don't stress.
    Anonymous

• I don't know much but RIGHT before my sister went into labor she was tested positive and they never gave her anything for it and she and baby we're perfectly fine and healthy.
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 4:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Thanks ladies, so much for sharing your experiences. Most of my worry came from me reading things online about it causing death in the newborn.. that, and the baby could develop some mental disorder later on after leaving the hospital.. I know it's very rare, but it's still scarry, you know? And I have small veins so an IV will put a lot of stress on my veins, and I am alergic to penn! I'm just really scared, this is also my first baby so... yeah, scarry : /
    Anonymous

• I was positive with both of my kids, probably with this one too. It's nothing to worry about as long as they caught it. They give you antibiotics and all will be fine. IF they missed it the baby can become very ill from it. But since your dr. knows all should be good.
    Anonymous

• Aww girl I just got tested today (35wks)

My OB said if I am positive its nothing to worry about. Your doc will probably give your meds (antibiotics )
    Possibly a day longer in the hosp and the IV - just like PP's said.

You will be okay. I had it with my baby girl and she was fine. Shes now 2. Don't worry about it !!!!!!!!!!!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2010