my 8 year old wants a cell phone. i told her she doesnt need one....

because se goes nowhere but school without me. but "all her friends have them" do you guys think it stupid for a child that isnt even old enough to go out alone to have a cell?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 3:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yea... if they don't go out anywhere, except to a friends house and with you and school... why is it necessary?
    When she starts going to the mall or something, OUT, then its up to you. Even then, maybe a track phone. No reason for anything else. (Unless you are ok with the low 10 dollar add a line to you plan then that might be ok).
    But really, 8? I don't think I even called my friends much at 8 from HOME except hey can you play. . Stick to it momma, she'll get one someday.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• We bought my stepson a cell.. and no, he didn't need it. But he wanted it. Part of being a parent is going along with things that seem stupid to you, but are important to them. He texts me when he's with his grandma or when I'm cleaning the house and he's playing or whatever. And that's what his mother calls him on. IT just works. And people are going to have very different opinions.. but it all comes down to you. IF you can afford to get her one and you want to get her one, then it doesn't matter what others think.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Guilty as charged! my 9 year old son has one and you're absolutely right he doesn't need it, BUT we gave him a phone because my smart husband added another line to our account to get a free phone to replace the one he broke so we couldn't get out of the contract. Even though he doesn't need it I am ok with him having it, he's very responsible with his phone for being 9 and he's able to call me at work if he's having a bad/great day and just wants to tell me before he gets home from school but other than that there's no much need for it.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• well maybe a tracfone with like 100 minutes a month wouldnt be that bad. just a fun toy to play with i guess. i just think its kind of dumb. all her friends call my phone and im fine with that but she thinks she should have her own.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• kids need to kids shes not a teen...she dont need to text...she needs to be little and do little girl stuff..this society is pushing our kids to grow to fast...
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Aboslutly not a child of that age does not need one, but that is a given. The question is do you want to give him one? If you do then do, if you dont then you dont need to because it is not essencial. My 7 yo wants one and will not be getting one. I just dont think that she is ready, responsible enough or have displayed the maturity to do so. When my children start having sleepovers more frequently and spending time away from me I may but not yet.
    Perfection1908

Answer by Perfection1908 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I don't think anyone under the age of 16 needs a cell phone. And no I will not budge on that one with my children. It is not part of being a parent to give your kids things they don't need. If it is something you want to do great.. but letting kids think they are a big deal when they aren't is part of why society is going to crap.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't give my child a cell phone at that age unless I was working and he walked home from school and there was a little bit of time that he was going to be home by himself.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 5:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Tell her to get a job and buy her own....

Answer by rkoloms at 5:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Kids who can't pay for it shouldn't have one. I say 16 as the minimum age, but personally I don't even believe ADULTS need them.
    Anonymous