medical science or maternal instinct?

i always go with my gut when it comes to my kids. it blows my mind that women starve their babies because science says "no food before 6 months!" don't they realize that there's a new study with a new answer every year? my favorite example of this "doctor knows all" mentallity:

Dr. John B. Watson (most eminent child psychologist of the 1930's) recommended total detachment in child rearing and warned "Never hug or kiss them, never let then sit on your lap. If you must, kiss them once on the forehead when you say goodnight ... if you expected a dog to grow up and be useful ... you wouldn't dare treat it the way you treat your child."
Watson also advocated toilet training by 6 months, and recommended that babies who didn't comply should be punished and forced to drink castor oil.

if you lived in the '30's, as a "by the book" parent, this is the advice you would have followed. thoughts?

bestmommyeber

Asked by bestmommyeber at 4:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I trust my mother's instinct over ANYTHING and ANYONE.

It saddens me too OP, that women have trashed their natural bond with their children because a person who went to school for a long time told them to.

When it's all said and done, I brought her into this world, and I am accountable and responsible for her and the decisions regarding her well being. If there is something I can't sleep with at night, it's not the right thing to do.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 6:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i always go with my gut when it comes to my kids. it blows my mind that women starve their babies because science says "no food before 6 months!
    ---------

my baby didnt start solids until 6mth and he wasnt starved, he was nursed regularly. as for the doctor above, different times, times have changed. i'm sure most people didnt follow that anyway.
    Anonymous

• maternal instinct is under rated.

Answer by older at 4:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i hate that people think there is a manual to raising kids. we all have maternal instincts and those women who don't were NEVER meant to have kids in the first place. women need to follow those instincts if they really care about their child...also the no kissing or hugging thing is bullshit, infants need human touch and if they don't get that attention it will cause psychological damage. doctors don't know all.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Do you put your baby to sleep on it's back? Do you give whole milk at birth? If you do, then, you are not following instinct, a doctor showed up why to do or not do these things. Do you get your child vaccinated? Do you smoke before and after birth? Why not? Do you drink poison? Instinct didn't cause your actions.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• let me correct myself. im not accusing every mother who waits to start solids of starving their baby. what i mean to point out is that some babies need solids before 4-6 months, but they don't get them because mothers are so afraid to go against the latest scientific study. sorry about that. i really didn't mean it to sound that way at all.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 4:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• my kids slept in my arms (where they belong) as babies. they all had whole milk before a year old because i got tired of spending so much $ on formula, and their stomachs could handle it because they hadn't been deprived of real food up until that point! i don't vaccinate, smoke, or drink poison because i have common sense.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 4:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Did you ever stop to think that maybe the instinct of thinking your child needed food before 6 months is wrong and maybe you misread cues? Like when I breast fed and thought I didn't make enough milk, but, I realize now that he had plenty wet and dirty diapers and I had enough milk. I just was undereducated in the fact that nursing babies eat ALOT.... by explaining and educating and showing studies, we are trying to educate against mothers that are shoving food down the throats of infants that can't sit and are still shoving he food out with their tongue. Some moms think that you start feeding all the solids you can possibly get into them and stop giving as much formula/breast milk. That is why we post the links and give hte advice.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Did you also know that back in the day, kids dies from getting cow's milk too early...and they all got fed real food too. That is why formula was made in the first place and because they wanted people who ate poorly to not breastfeed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Also, if a doctor hadn't told you the risks of all those things, you wouldn't know not to smoke or not to drink poison.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2010