Baby wants to nurse all day long... HELP

My son is 9 weeks old, and wants to nurse all day. It seems like he gets fed, and literally an hour later he is screaming for more. I feel like he might not be getting full enough with the breastmilk. Is this normal? I have been exclusively breastfeeding since birth, but I think it may be time to start supplementing. I dont know what to do... I just want him to be satisfied and not hungry :( Any suggestions?? Thanks moms!

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 4:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are some breastfeeding groups here on CM. They can give you the support and information you are looking for.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Is this something that just started going on? If so, he's probably just going through a growth spurt, by nursing more he'll prompt your body to create more milk, and once your supply is up he should begin nursing less often. Also, is he sleeping a lot through the night? That would be my other thought, if he's sleeping a bulk of the night he may be making up for it by nursing that often throughout that day....
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 4:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The breast is for comfort as well as nutrition. My guess is that your baby is colicky, an you are doing what moms are made to do - comfort your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I know that it is tough, but what you are experiencing is very normal. He is probably going through a growth spurt, and needs the extra calories. DO NOT start supplementing! There is no need to. Some suggestions would be to keep up your water and calorie intake. If he is nursing, you should be drinking. I know it can be a lot, but just know that it does get more predictable, and no breastfeeding mother ever loves breastfeeding 100% of the time. Please check out some of the breastfeeding groups here, they are filled with very knowledgeable mothers.

My favorite nursing web site: www.kellymom.com

squish

Answer by squish at 5:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• It is normal, do not suppliment. If he is having plenty wet diapers and some poopy ones, you are good to go. It is a growth spurt.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Very normal -It is natures way of building up your supply - more feeds = more milk production. I know it is tiring, but try to hang in there, this lasts a couple of weeks & then he should settle down again. This change of pattern is so common around 6-9 weeks, he is getting enough but he & nature knows he is going to need more soon so this is how the supply gets increased. To supplement means you have less feeds, so your milk production will go down. If you would like to continue to BF, avoid the supplement, they are not necessary & will be counter-productive. Your breasts are doing a great job & can produce plenty of milk for him. One thing I found made a huge difference was I stopped looking at the clock. If the baby was hungry I feed her, regardless of when the last feed was - As adult we have times when we are more hungry, so does a baby. he is crying not cos he's not satisfied, but because he thinks its great!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• This type of question is what gets answers from FF moms that you need to supplement. You do NOT need to supplement. A BF newborn may want to cluster feed, which means nurse frequently for a stretch. My 1st DD would nurse every 45 min for about 4 feedings and then the rest would be an hour and a half apart. Breat milk is very efficient. Their little bodies absorb all of it's nutrients and use it up fast and get hungry. It's normal. Just feed your baby on demand and he will be fine. The time between feedings will get longer when he gets older.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Normal, and NO you don't need to supplement. It will change!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• That is way normal - do not think that you aren't enough, YOU ARE! It could either be a growth spurt or like rklomos said, nursing is comfort as much as nutrition. My daughter does this when she's going through a growth spurt or if she's just having an off day. No reason to supplement.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 5:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Another problem that women face around this time is that they go on the pill. This will reduce your milk. Your baby will nurse more to bring your milk supply back to where it was.
    rewoif

Answer by rewoif at 5:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2010