Is it weird he barely talks??

My son is almost 19 months old and he says like 5 words: momma, da da, nana, hi and me. when will he actually develope a vocab and should i be worried about his developement. and is there any games or exersises that anyone thinks is good for him?

katitim

Asked by katitim at 4:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he is doing pretty good! My son is two and doesnt say much more than your son. he is slowly starting to copy. But if you are really concerned which i dont think you should be, you can ask you doctor and see what he thinks :)
    Anonymous

• My daughter was speaking in complete sentences at 18 months. Get him evaluated; it may be nothing (which will make you feel better), or it may be something (in which case early intervention is always best).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Now does he get his needs met? Does he point and grunt or something or do you just now what he wants when. Does he answer questions and seem to know what you are saying to him, then don't worry. If he can understand and do something that gets his needs meet then don't worry. If he isn't then get him tested. Might have the doctor take a good look at his ear, you can't talk if you can't hear well. As far as helping him to talk, talk to him and read to him (repetitive books) this will help him learn how to say the words and what they mean. When he points at something encourage him to say what it is by saying what it is then ask him to copy you. If he doesn't don't push if he does get all sorts of happy that will encourage him. If he has a favorite something talk to him about it. Sing Nursery rhymes or other sing song simple songs, repetition here as well. If you can get book system that he can interact with. GL

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• when he wants things he will usually go "uh uh uh uh" until i realize what it is he needs but as far as other things go i think he might be ok... when i tell him its bath time he goes to the bathroom door and tries to undress himself, or when i tell him it's time to eat and he has food out he will go straight for the high chair. he's really good at listening to me but just doesnt talk much. i know that girls develope alittle faster then boys do i was just hoping that he might be able to tell me his needs and understand words a little more before his little sister gets here. (due may 2nd) but i will keep working with him and reading to him. thanks for everyone's input!
    katitim

Answer by katitim at 8:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• WHY DO SO MANY MOMS WORRY ABOUT THIS KINDA STUFF!!! HONESTLY, YOUR SON IS 19 MONTHS, AND YOUR WORRIED THAT HE'S NOT TALKING ALL THAT GREAT? MY SON IS OVER 3, AND JUST STARTED TO TALK. HE WILL NEED SERIOUS SPEECH THERAPY, AND ALOT OF WORK, BUT IM NOT WORRIED. QUIT COMPARING YOUR BABY TO EVERYONE ELSE'S BECAUSE YOU WILL ONLY SET YOURSELF UP FOR DISAPPOINTMENT.
    Anonymous

• My son is 20 months old and barely talks. He knows a few words but I don't hear him say them very often. He communicates in other ways but I can tell he gets upset when he's trying to communicate but no one gets it. Sometimes I wonder why he doesn't speak but I can't really remember when my oldest started really talking, all I know is he never stops now. Just keep working with him, repeating words, reading and all that.
    I think he should be talking more than he is but I'm not overly concerned about it. Good Luck
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 10:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2010