Our Daughter is scared of Nurses & Doctors?

Our Daughter is 22months old and is so scared of Nurses & Doctors. Today, I went to a Doc app and it was for me. She was still freaking out the whole time, I guess she thinks she is going to get a shot. We took her to the Doc on Monday, because she has a cold. Soon as the Nurse touches my Daughter to get her Temp, Weight, Height she freaks out. She won't let the Nurse or Doc even touch her to check her out. Does anybody else have a problem like this?? We took her for her 18 month, shots 4months ago and it was terrible because we had to hold her down for the shots to be put in her legs. I explained it to her Today that she wasn't getting a shot and that everything was okay. She still cried the whole time...

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 5:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am scared of them too and I am 30!! I am just saying.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 5:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i don't blame her lol! it's just a phase. you could try some books or videos like "elmo goes to the doctor" maybe get a toy doctor's kit and play doctor with her and a teddy bear. take turns being doctor and patient. no matter what you do (or don't do) she'll likely grow out of it.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 5:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• After DD's last well baby check up she is terrified of women in scrubs and men in white coats, regardless of who or where they are. I figure she'll grow out of it eventually, and her ped is understanding about it. He actually told us that it's fairly common; he calls it the "touch me not" disease lol and laughs about it every time we go in. I like the play doctor idea. We may try that when DD gets a little older.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My dd was the same way! RIght before she turned 2, she got a urinary tract infection and to check her they put in a cathetor!!!!! It was AWFUL and she developed a HUGE fear of drs until just recently. I explained what the dr was going to do and I went through touching her ear, putting her on the scale, opened her mouth and such the night before the dr apt. I asked her if it hurt and she said "no!" and kept laughing so I said that's exactly what the dr is going to do and he's going to want to look at your butt (she had a rash that turned into an allergy). She was fine with it and when we went into the dr I let her hold me and told her the dr was our friend. The dr was really gentle (like all ours are) and was really nice. At the end, she offered my dd a sticker and that turned it all around! Now if dd bruises herself she asks for a dr and will make stuff up to try to get to the dr....
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I thought I was the only one... My 19 month old has total "white coat syndrome"... She had almost a whole year of almost non-stop ear infections, though... The first time she ever put more than two syllables together was to say "no dah-tah" lol. She just had tubes put in and she feels great and we're crossing our fingers that she won't have to go in anytime soon... I'm just hoping for a long enough break in between visits that she can start forgetting a little. She's the same way, though, freaks out even getting her weight checked. Or when a nurse comes to the waiting area and calls someone else's name. I also think that by the time they're old enough to understand a little more abstractly, we can explain more what's going to happen and why not to be afraid. My oldest had a shot at 2.5 years (flu shot) and, for the first time, said "ow!" instead of crying... because I prepped her.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• LOL @ some of these stories, they are sooo true! I'm a "school" nurse in a preK/daycare. The kids are fine if they are told they are going to see "Miss Karen", but they are crying coming in my door if they are told they are going to see "the nurse". I wear street clothes, my office does NOT look like a medical/nurse office, I have books/ stuffed animals and all my medical "stuff" is hidden in cabinets. I love that "touch me not" disease! I'm gonna steal that one!
    to marcnsarah: absolutely, it's a phase. Something to get through. She may never like "us" but won't be so out of control for too much longer. Good luck to you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 17, 2010