How do I tell them absolutely NOT without the trip being miserable?

I am going down see my MIL and FIL without my husband so they can meet are little baby for the first time. I in no way want to take them away from that, but she was born in Colorado they live in Miami and it is extremely hot, my daughter doesnt take heat well, and they have decided they will have a family reunion, his family is like 50 people who will all be there to see my daughter, it will be 50 new people, middle of the day, florida heat, at a horse stable, yeah horses sound awesome and what not but I am severly allergic to them and would prefer not to test and see if she is.

I think this is a bad idea all around, not a good place for my daughter overall, however his parents are... how can i put this nicely... perfectionists, if they were to do this and she were to be grumpy they will be stern towards her SHES FIVE MONTHS OLD!! I will not allow that and it would just make the rest of the week terrible.

Laura_Cruz

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 5:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell them you will not come unless the reunion is indoors A/C.

Answer by louise2 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• You have every right to put your baby's needs above their wants. You're concerns are valid and it's not wrong to say no to whatever you think might be inappropriate. You are the mother, you have the final say, especially considering you are going to be the only parent there as your husband will not be there for support. What does he say about all this?
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• This is going to sound crazy. BUT. Don't borrow trouble. You are getting upset and angry over something that has not happened! I encourage you to take some allergy meds, get some cool weather outfits for your baby, TRY to ENJOY this! These people, most of them, could very well be dead by the time your daughter is grown. Let her meet them now, get to know them. Let them meet her. Take lots of pictures. LIVE LIFE WITH JOY rather then thinking of what could go wrong. Yes be prepared, but I doubt they will be stern with a baby that young.
    Anonymous

• *Your not You're* It's been a long day here.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i agree with anon :53.
    in addition, you could let your husband call his parents and let them know that if your allergies get too bad you will have to leave. i think people without allergies can't really understand how hard it is for people with severe allergies. make sure he tells them that even with medication it will be hard for you to breathe and see...
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Laura, talk to your doc about the ideas. If you can get doc to put the kibosh on the party plans, they can't complain.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I'm in NW Florida, but grew up in Montana, I totally understand your point about the heat. I'm already having to keep the doors closed and the a/c on just to get through the day. I know that Miami would be so much worse, you didn't say when the reunion is going to be, but if the heat is going to make the baby sick. It might be better to postpone the trip, even if it makes the in-laws upset. I wouldn't want to travel that far with an infant just to have her get sick, if you're flying, the trip back would be even harder.

Talk to your DH about it, maybe he can talk to his parents, any chance they could come see you after or before the reunion?
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My friend lives in Miami and he's been updating his facebook page every day saying how perfect the weather is this time of year. 70 degrees balmy breeze. Don't know when you plan on going but April in Miami seems to be beautiful. Just make sure you have a sun hat, of course sun block and ask if there will be shaded area. You may want to bring an sun umbrella.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Make up something n don't go
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I have been unable to reach my husband as he is in the military
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 9:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2010