what's the difference between rice and oatmeal cereal

can i start on either?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can start on either, but rice is supposed to be milder and less likely to cause digestive issues.
    Anonymous

• Rice cereal constipated my oldest son horribly. Oatmeal worked out much better for him. I didn't even bother with rice cereal or oatmeal with my youngest.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 6:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Staci, no need to do cereal at all. Mashed banana or avocado. Easier, tastier and less expensive. Save the oatmeal for yourself.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Rice is well, rice, and oatmeal is made from oats. Sorry, it's really the only way I can explain it. Yes, you can start with either, rice might cause slight bowel movement issues, and no, you don't HAVE to use either at all. Fruits and veggies are fine for first foods.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i asked one earlier if i could do that and i got responses saying babies needed consistency to be built up. this has got me all confused, everyone says something different.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• would a mashed avacado need breastmilk?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Rice cereal is traditionally the first food given. It is what most pediatricians reccomend. It is bland and can be mixed with breastmilk or formula for a familiar tatse. It is also gluten free, which means it is less likely to cause an allergic reaction than many other cereals. It does not have to be the first food introduced, but it is the most popular choice.
    Anonymous

• My DD hates rice cereal so I skipped it. I give her oatmeal with a fruit mixed in and she loves it.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• If your baby is ready for solids, she should be able to eat regular food mashed up, or oatmeal at the adult consistency. This is one of the signs of solid readiness. You shouldn't have to water down food and make it runny for her to eat it, does that make sense?
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• yeah it makes sense, i just hear too many things, i should really just get off cafemom.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2010