someone PLEASE tell me whats going to happen! *GRAND THEFT* ---posted elsewhere

my dad got sick last year (in November) he and my stepmom got very behind on their bills and she made the worst descion ever to steal money from her work. She now cant pay the $500 back and needed the money by tonight or she was going to jail.
I dont ha ve the money to help them out nor do I condone the fact she stole the money. There are other ways of getting money and assistance. I just want to know what kinda sentance shes looking at???? I honestl feel so bad for feelign this way but stealing is NEVER a solution.

Has anyone ever gone through this or have a family member that has??? PLEASE PLEASE any advice helps.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It is going to depend ENTIRELY on your state's laws and on the judge involved. If this is a first offense, likely she won't serve any jail time.

Here's California's law: Grand theft is punishable by up to one year in jail or a state prison sentence of 16 months, 2 years or three years in prison.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• $500?? That's all she took? She won't be looking at any time. Probation, some counseling, pay the money back. If they put her in jail for $500 then your state laws suck. I never post anonymous but I have to this time because of this - over a 3year period I stole $30,000 from a previous employer. I quit the job, got a new one, and the new bookkeeper found what I did. Ten counts of forgery were brought against me. I was looking at 20 - 30 years in prison plus having to pay the money back. My state looked at the individual case and the circumstances involved and the firm I took the money from. They concluded I did not deserve jail time and I was given 20 years probation and had to pay the money back. I paid the money back over an 8 year period and then petitioned the court for early release from probation and it was granted. That's a lot more than $500, I hope she only gets probation, but it's up to the DA and judge.
    Anonymous

• She may get jail time plus be on probation. Like a pp said, depends on the laws in your state and the judge that's presiding over her case.
    Anonymous

• What is going to happen? She is going to jail. Like she should be. Sorry, stealing is stealing.
    Anonymous

• Actually it is only theft... grand theft is anything over $1,500. Ultimately it up to the court system but in most cases that I have seen or heard of, they got probation
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 10:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2010