I am 28 weeks pregnant today and just had one of my routine check ups. Last month my DR. basically told me i was fat. Since i have gotten pregnant i have put on 40lb. Is this something that i should be worried about (putting on this much weight) or is he being kind of an ass?

I am 23 before i got pregnant i was 115 and i am 5'5". I was very athletic (dancer, runner swimmer). Everyone still tell me they can barely tell i am prego and that i am still so small. However, my DR. went off on me about my weight again. Not only have i been struggling with not being able to be as aactive as i once was, i am not feeling worse and worse about my new body image.

elle4woman

Asked by elle4woman at 6:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• that is a lot (I gained over 100 lbs with my first, 9 years ago), it's soooo much harder on your body, and opens you up to all kinds of problems that you wouldn't otherwise have. If you've gained that much, you should really reexamine your diet- it only takes about 300 extra calories a day to sustain a pregnancy- about as much as a PLAIN medium baked potato has. You shouldn't be eating extra.

My advice to you- GET IN A POOL. Water exercise classes are awesome, and completely safe! you'll feel better, and maintain your physical activity level, which will help you a ton in preparation for L&D.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Yes it is a problem, he's not just being an asshole. Gaining 40 lbs. at 28 wks is not good. Did you know that in the last trimester, you literally put on about 1 lb a week? I kid you not, in the last three months most women get HUGE. You do not want to gain 100 lbs. when you're out of this. Back in the day it was ok for women to gain obscene amounts of weight, but now we know about gestational diabetes and having huge children. It's not a good thing for you or the baby. I would serious limit how much you're eating, b/c you are going to get huge when you're 35+ wks. My Doc. gave me the same lecture. I was only 105 when I got pregnant but the first month I gained 8 lbs. He let me know that it was unacceptable and I'm glad I listened b/c in the last trimester I gained so much weight! I seriously ballooned.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 7:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• He might of been rude on the way he put it, but you want to keep your weight gain to a min, because it is hard on your body and in turn it's hard on the baby.
    Anonymous

• I'm 37 and I've gained 42lbs over my entire pregnancy. It was more than I wanted to gain, and I didn't really eat any more than normal. It's just what the baby and my body demanded (they say it's mostly fluid). But 40lbs at 28 weeks is not very good, you've still got quite a ways to go.

Anonymous

• Well if you look at a BMI chart 5'5'' and 115 is underweight...so maybe your body is just making up for it. I'm 5'4'' and 130 pre pregnancy ( I have a good body..not gloating just saying), I am also 28 weeks and I have gained 15lbs. My docs are very pleased with the progression of my pregnancy and my weight gain. I gained almost 40lbs total with my first.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• everything everyone previously has written is true.
    Also when you weigh more your labor can have more complications. My friend gained 65 with hers and had many complications. The hard part also is losing it after you have the baby.
    Don't try to extreme diet and lose weight while youre pregnant, its kinda too late. And the would be selfish, not healthy for the baby.
    Just watch what you are eating, you are going to eat more as your metabolism speeds up toward the end of pregnancy. So there alone you may lose weight if you even consider to eat the same. But avoid greasy foods and up your fiber and protein.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 7:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Yes it is a problem. I was not allowed to gain more than 20 pounds the entire pregnancy. It will complicate labor. don't try to lose all of it now, but try not to gain any more. Drink plenty of water to flush out your system and stay away from salt unless you want to see four pounds a week added into it. :)
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Some people have a lot of weight gain due to water weight, is that a possibility?
    It is a little more than what the average weight gain is supposed to be.Just try to eat healthy and drink more water.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• There is even a recent study that says that many of the weight gain allowances are overly generous for most women. Sorry, but yeah, he's right. Keep it under control.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i agree with the poster that said that you were underweight to begin with. underweight can be just as bad for you as overweight. does your dr. understand your pre pregnancy weight was pretty low? i had a dr. scold me the other week for not gaining enough...i laughed at him, he had no idea what my pre pregnancy weight was. good luck. please use good sense when eating and i am sure everything will be just fine. you will be able to go back to your active lifestyle shortly after your baby is born! hang in there mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2010