would it be cheaper to give birth natural vs. w/ intervention

Would it be cheaper to not have any pain meds? Wouldn't that save me cost? My ins only pays 75 percent and we have a 1500 deductible!! what else could cut the cost of the birth? What about not doing hte hep shot at birth but waiting a little bit? Do I have to stay the full 2 days? If not does it cost less to leave after 24 hours?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Wow, your insurance sounds bad unfortunately.

Soon the pregnancy will be over. You don't have to PAY OFF hospital bills RIGHT AWAY. You can pay them $10 a month if that's all you can do. I owed a $1000 out of pocket after all was said and done with my first birth. I paid it over a year. I made minimal payments. As long as you are paying them SOMETHING they will not send you to collections. I was never charged any interest of course, for it's not a CC, just a hospital bill. I'd ASSUME it works that way everywhere.

Anonymous

• Find a birth center.

No, you are not requited to vaccinate- if you give birth in a hospital, the child is more likely to be exposed to hepB which is why they generally administer. But NO you do not have to... there is no law stating that you do. You do not have to STAY at the hospital either- again, no laws stating that you must. You do not have to birth in a hospital at all.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Everything that you don't have to use, is less money you spend. for example...pain meds, meals, time of your stay, etc etc. I would cut anything out that WOULD NOT COMPROMISE YOUR HEALTH. Like, don't leave early after having a C section because they monitor you, your incision etc...
    Be careful!
    Anonymous

• My insurance was 20% 80% with my DD. I only paid $35 out of pocket for the epidural.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• OP:: how does you telling me what your ins covered answer my question. I'm hapy you only paid 35 but that is irrelevant to me
    Anonymous

• You asked about not having pain meds. My reply indicates that certain pain meds, such as a COMMON epi, cost pretty much NOTHING out of pocket. If you didn't catch onto that I am sorry.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• OP~ There are a lot of ways to cut expenses, and most of them are things that the hospital is going to outright demand that you do- like have IV fluids, even if you are not dehydrated (which, by the way, you have the RIGHT to deny. You do not even have to have a hep lock, all you have to do is say NO, and they can't do it. Period.)

Bottom line, is that NCB is cheaper. Each and every intervention costs, both monetarily, and in potential risk. 'Interventions" are unnecessary, and cause unnecessary trauma. One leads to another, to another, to another.

Depending on how many weeks you are, you may find a MW who is willing to take you on, and that alone will cut your costs. They are less invasive, focus on prevention rather than treating a problem once it arises, and will be much more supportive of your rights. Birth centers are also much less expensive. So is a home birth.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Cut what you don't absolutely need will save money. You don't pay if they have it on standby just in case. Have you tried to apply for medicaid?? If you are considered low income they cover you even if you have insurance. It's worth trying for anyway. If you get it the baby is automatically covered on birth. I vaccinate so obviously I would not recommend skipping that because as stated above exposure in the hospital is high. i'm not sure about the deuctible because I would assume it's paid up by the time birth rolls around. (Prenatal checkups) But yes no pain meds, no enema, no pitocin, etc. would cut the cost. Vaginal birth is cheaper than c-section and recovery is generally shorter so if all goes well you should be able to leave within the first two days. Things don't always go well though which is why you should apply for medicaid.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• OP:: I am 34 weeks tomorrow. My ob cost are through the roof! I don't know if we can keep doing this! I am going every other week to the ob now and there is a 30 dollar co-pay plus 25 percent of any test or labs. So 25% of every ultrsound (2) the glucose test which I had to repeat, the blood work and the 24 hour urine test when my blood pressure was high for for a few visits in a row. the baby isn't here yet and has cost us about 2000 and the co-pays don't go toward the deductible. It was fine when we got PG but now that DH hours have been cut and they want me to cut back mine I am scared about how we will pay for all of this!
    Anonymous

• I just don't think we would qualify for medicaid. We are in Gs and our income before taxes each month is 2,098 but our mortgage is 870. It just doesn't leave a lot of room ofr 'extras' now and I haven't cut back like I was supposed to yet! I am waitin g to see the results of my urine test before I cut back. It wasn't supposed to be this way I swear. It's just been one thing after another.
    Anonymous