Need some ideas - QUICK! First B-Day Party in 10 days!

Hi, My sons 1st birthday party is in 10 days and way more people than I expected to say yes, said yes. So the count is about 21 yes and maybes, and another 4 familes no answer (RSVP was yesterday.) It's at noon, and we said cookout. So my question: if it's mainly adults (so far 4 kids, possibly another3) is hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill sufficient, (with cupcakes instead of cake)? Will I need to have planned activites for hte kids?(I"m in the Pacific Northwest, so rain is always a real possibility.) I've never thrown a party based around the children and I'm kinda freaking out! I know I need goody bags...but what else???

happymom7566

Asked by happymom7566 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I personally wouldn't really plan on many activities. Sit around and chat, let the kids have fun playing with toys in the yard, eat lunch, do cake, and then presents. With a child's first birthday you really shouldn't plan the party over 2 hours, so keep that in mind when scheduling everything.

My daughters first birthday is approaching in June, so the last thing I would want is a really crabby, overstimulated baby after a day of craziness anyway. Just my two cents. I plan on keeping her birthday to about 90 minutes.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 7:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I have the party set to be from 12-1:30. He goes down at 2-2:30 so that should give him time to calm down from all the excitement. thanks!
    happymom7566

Answer by happymom7566 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Then you really wont have time for any activities. =)
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 9:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Burgers and Hotdogs should be fine. I would do something like chips or a salad or two as well. And then cupcakes.
    I would do any activities or goody bags....
    For my son's party we had a bubble blower for the kids to play with... they all loved it. You can find them pretty cheap at any toy store... or just get some bubbles and the older kids can blow bubbles for the younger ones... they'll love it!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I would personally try and serve healthier alternatives. If I was invited to a party with just hotdogs, hamburgers, and cupcakes... I would probably not eat. I am not anal about what goes into my body, I just prefer to eat "whole" meats and higher cuts. I would also never let my child eat that either. Why not grill up some chicken breast? And at the very least serve a veggie tray or fruit tray as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 15, 2010