Formula for babies that spit up?

What is the best formula to use for babies that spit up? The doctor says he doesn't have acid reflux, he's just a baby that spits up a lot. I've got him on Similac Isomil Advanced now and that doesn't seem to be working to well. We've also tried Similac Advanced and Enfamil Premium (which seems to be the best out of all of them). Any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know much about formula, but doesn't one brand make an AR which is a bit thicker, for babies who spit up a lot?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My daughter had reflux and honestly, if they spit up they just spit up. Not much you can do about it. We did use Similac Sensitive RS. it has rice starch in it to make it a thicker texture and you have to use the size 3 nipples with it. It helped some but then when she did spitup it was thick and chuncky. We dealt with large amounts of spitup for almost a year. He will evenutally out grow it. Our doctor told us that usually by 6 months they will outgrow, some go on to about 12 months and usually it is all over by 18 months. My daughter stopped it around the 12 month mark. Spit up is no fun and just carry lots of burp rags.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• DS was FF and I found that feeding him smaller amounts more often and burping him when he was half done helped a lot. At 6m/o he was drining 4oz every 2-3 hours (and sleeping 10hrs a night!). We used Enfamil Lipil. And use the smallest nipple you can. The faster flow comes out fast (obviously :)) and they'll gulp in more air. Too much air will make a burp come out more forceful than it would otherwise and milk will come shooting out with the milk.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 9:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i use the gentle ease fomula for my son and my eldest son when he was a baby i used soy formula. it's a hit and miss thing. just remember keep the baby on the formula for about 2 weeks. you have to give their tummy a chance to get use to the changing of formula. Good luck and God bless
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 2:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Both of my girls have severe reflux issues. My eldest even had to have the fundo to try and correct this problem. They were both put on Nutramigin, Projestimil, Neocate, and Allimentum; and honestly nothing helps if they are eurpie (sp?) babies their is NO way around it!! My eldest vomitted constantly until she was almost 3 years old (horribly bad). My LO is 7 months old now and she is doing better with her spitting up!

(when I mean "spit up", it's more like projectile vomiting, and you need a receiving blanket to catch all of the puke!! lol)

Hope you can find a formula that suits your son well!! I know how challenging it can be!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2010