Constipated?

My baby is almost 11 weeks old & breastfed 100%. She hasn't had a bowel movement since Sunday though & I was wondering if she is constipated? She is gassy but isn't acting sick or irritable. She is also having a wet diaper before each feeding which is a good thing. My first daughter was formula fed due to not producing. She got constipated often but I know it is rare for a babies to be constipated when they are breastfed.

MyKyRa07

Asked by MyKyRa07 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not pooping is not constipation. Passing hard dry pellets is. It's unnerving but normal for a breastfed baby to go many days without a poop when they reach this age....I've seen them go as long as 20, with a normal breastfed poop at the end of it. Be aware...they tend to be blowouts when they do come!

Answer by gdiamante at 8:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Lol, she gets those all the time! I'm hoping she is fine...
    MyKyRa07

Answer by MyKyRa07 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• G said it all. It's common after about 4-6 weeks for bowel habits of an EBF baby to change, but also common for them to NOT change. LOL. My son was an every 8th day pooper. Perfectly healthy. I do believe the record in the Breastfeeding Moms group is 20 or 21 days.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Constipation isnt defined as not pooping for babies but the consistency of when they do poop. Some babies only poop once a week some a few times a day. Yes bf babies are usually more regular but it still comes down to the baby.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• If the poop is hard, painful for her, or like little pellets then she is constipated.
    sassy_brizzy

• It is perfectly normal for a breastfed baby to go more than a week without a bowel movement.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2010