Can you buy Slimfast drinks/food with a Link Card (Food Stamps?)

I just want to know. I'm considering doing it if it's allowed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• My sister has food stamps. She couldnt buy that when she lived in TN, now that she is in NC she can, she can even buy energy drinks.....I guess it all depends on where you go.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• depends on the state you are in. google your state guidelines...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• not bashing, but please consider what you're doing. you're going to spend my tax dollars on weight loss products. i don't meet the guidelines for food stamps, but i can't afford a gym membership or slimfast. i have to spend almost all of my "extra" money on food. i don't think that's fair.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 8:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• OP here. I'm sorry you don't qualify for the extra help. I mean that, not being a smart ass because you can't hear tones through writing. But in theory, I'll be spending less on food because it's a meal replacement. Which means my kids will be getting the same amount of food they always get, and I'll have a bit extra for when I help out pantries after cleaning out my cabinets and during local food drives. I always try to give back when I can.
    Also, wouldn't you rather see your tax dollars going on making someone healthier than going on chips, ice cream and pop? Again, not with an attitude, it's an actual question.

Just fyi, I've looked online and can't find anything in regard to diet drinks or foods. It says no tobacco or alcohol or non-food items, but leaves out energy drinks, diet supplies, and basically any other questionable foods.
    Anonymous

• Call a local store that sells the stuff and ask them - they HAVE to know. You don't have to give out your name or anything, just tell them you're wondering if you can use that "money" to buy that stuff.
    Anonymous

• op-  i completely understand what you're saying, and yes i am a little bitter that we can't get food stamps. the problem isn't you specifically, it's the system. you're absolutely right about the chips, soda, ice cream ect . . . and if i had to choose, then yes i would rather see you and others using benefits to get healthy. but the fact is, food stamps should be reserved for those who would literally starve without them. i know several ppl who get as much as $700 a month to feed themselves and 3 children. i just get so irritated at that! if there was a limit to what you could spend it on, as opposed to how much you could spend, everyone would do much better. working people would pay less taxes, no one would starve, and best of all, everyone involved would be much healthier. idk your situation, and i don't judge you. i just wish the system was fair to all. instead it just makes it easy (for most) to be lazy.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 1:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Honestly people who have jobs can qualify for food stamps so there own tax dollars are going to theirselves. Not everyone on foodstamp is jobless or on welfare and hey every little bit helps especially for a single working mother so no i dont think that if you are absolutely starving you should only be allowed to get them. because when it comes down to it and you barley make enough to pay all of your bills and buy food thats when the parent has to decide pay the rent or buy food for the kids to eat.. have you even tried to apply? don't judge people you don't know their situation or what they are going through. In this economy things are really hard. Now what about the single mother who has worked for years and years then suddenly one day lost her job? Unemployment does not pay enough for you to really live off of at all. so why would a person be judged on getting foodstamps especially since she worked for years and years
    jennbunnyb

Answer by jennbunnyb at 2:42 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• does that not count toward the tax dollars spent on that person's behalf? I would think so. No one should be looked down on because they hit a bump in the road and all they want to do is be able to feed their family. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Now to answer the question I know in NYS you can buy slim fast and baby formula and even laxative tablets. Its the things that keep you and your kids healthy. It's not like she is being a scumbag and selling her foodstampd for cash like some people do. They are the abusers of the system that are on welfare and dont want to do anything to help themselves or their families. They are the ones that don't care.
    jennbunnyb

Answer by jennbunnyb at 2:45 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I'm in ohio I get food stamps n I was wonder the samething it jus depend on the store not only that it's considered food so just go get it n pay for it with the card thats what I did
    whitney123454

Answer by whitney123454 at 4:37 PM on May. 20, 2014