How much do you pay your sitter? (you don't need to answer if you get free care from your family)

And also how many kids do you have and their ages? I'm trying to determine what pay rate is the norm.

Is your sitter a teenager or college student?

Any other factors that determined how much you paid?

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 8:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't go out but I do watch kids. I only charge like $20.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• A sitter for a night out or a sitter during the day while at work?
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Sitter?What sitter?I wish,LOL.
    Since I have had my 2nd I've had a date night sitter 2 times for about 3 hours each time and we paid $20. It was a teenager.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• For a night or evening out.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The only time I ever hired a neighborhood sitter, I paid her $40.00 for the evening. We were out about 4 to 5 hours. HOWEVER, my In Laws ALSO paid her, for she watched all of our kids. They gave her $80.00 for their two. Had it been JUST my DD, I probably would have given $50 for her time.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I dont have any kids but I take care of my grammy. She is 89. I pay a college age student, she's not in college, I pay her $10 an hour to watch grammy every once in a while.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My goodness I was paid $20 for two kids for an evening and was SO happy, lol. I can't afford that. Thats more than we would spend just going out!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I was a teenage sitter 15 years ago, and I charged $5.00/hour. I'd make $30 to $50 a night easily BACK then. Parents stayed out LATE.
    Anonymous

• Me and DH have been looking for a sitter for our son FOREVER!!! He has high functioning autism, and the caregivers we've interviewed want anywhere from $15-$50/hour. We don't understand why so much, at least in our situation, because our son is very well behaved, entertains himself well, and we prepare him for when a caregiver would come. Needless to say, we haven't used a caregiver or sitter since he was a baby and my mother would babysit for us. BTW, our son is 11 years old, it's been much too long since our last date night!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• $10/hr; wish I could pay less though but thats the going rate in my area
    Anonymous