I want to go back to school but...

I want to go back to school but my husband does not want me too. I have an Associates Degree and I want to get my Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice. It would take 2 years going full time. I have worked it out with my boss so that I can take a few classes and still keep my full time hours. I will not be losing any income at all this way. When I brought it up to my husband, he went belligerent. He told me that I would be almost 30 by the time I graduated and that I just needed to forget about it. I am in a dead end job right now and I hate it. I thought about cutting my hours down to 25-30 hrs. per week and going to school full time behind his back. Between the grants and scholarships I have, it would make up for the 10-15 hour difference and he would never know. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in

• There's something wrong with the situation if your husband is "against" it....
    Do you think he feels like you'll be making more money than him? Maybe that you wouldn't need him? Would he feel less as a person, maybe because you will have a higher level of education?
    I say go for it, especially since income won't suffer etc..
    Anonymous

• Yeah thats a really odd response. Did you ask him why he doesn't want you to go back? And does he think you should be stuck at 30 because ALOT of people are in school in their 30s, 40s AND 50s now. I'm 27 now and when i go back I'll be 30 too.
    Is he abusive or controlling? Does he feel like you want the education to leave him someday? I would try to get to the root of it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• That's the thing that gets me. He wants me to make more money! He complains all the time about how little I make. He thinks that I should be able to get a good job with just an Associate's degree. But not in this town or this economy. Because we have a community college, people with Associate degrees are a dime a dozen.
    Anonymous

• It could be the time commitment to school....especially if you have children or if he won't get a home cooked meal etc....some guys are complainers like that....they don't want it to be "too hard" on them....(not to say all men are like this, but a lot are! lol)
    Anonymous

• It's not up to your DH. If you want to go back to school, go back to school. He can't stop you. 30 is YOUNG for school now a days. Many people in their 50s were in my undergrad program when I got my degree. I am 30 now and do plan to go back for my Masters someday.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• have you researched the job opportunities with this degree? It doesn't sound very marketable to me. I would get an accounting or business management or marketing degree instead.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• rkoloms, seriously? Do you have some sort of social issues?
    Anonymous

• Since when is a criminal justice degree not marketable?????????

Anonymous

• Tell your husband to shove his attitude up his ass!! I am almost 40 and graduating from college. My mom was in her late 50's when she got her Masters degree. Since when is an education not important? Your husband needs to pull his head out of his ass and stop putting you down. GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND GET THE DEGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rkoloms: I agree with anon--since when is a criminal justice degree not marketable? And why should someone go to school for something that they do NOT want to go for? I would never go for business, marketing or accounting because I would go nuts doing those jobs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Good for you! I am 31 and getting ready to return to school again for my BS in Criminal Justice w/ a Psychology minor. I have an A.A.S. as a paralegal and I am SO ready to finish my CJ. I have 60 hours left including my minor courses. Then I plan on getting my Masters as well. And to the one who said a CJ degree wasn't marketable, that's just bullshit. I plan on working in the District Attorney's office as a special victim's unit advocate. Sounds pretty damned marketable to me.
    paralegalmommy

Answer by paralegalmommy at 1:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2010