Diabetes?

I'm a 26 year old with a family history of diabetes. I've been tested in the past, and during my pregnancies, all negative.

Today I ate at about 12pm and headed home at about 4:30 feeling shaking and weak. By the time I got home I felt like I was going to pass out if I didn't eat. I know that's hypoglycemia... but does it always indicate diabetes, or can it just happen?

Also, I've been urinating very frequently. I thought I might be pregnant, but tested negative.

LeanneC

Asked by LeanneC at 8:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Health

• It sounds like a possibility to me,Hon. If you can, please see your doc and get tested. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• No you don't necessarily have to be diabetic. I am hypoglycemic with no known cause. I'm not Diabetic so they are not sure when I get low blood sugar. Definitely talk to your doctor about it. I passed out at work from it and had a customer not been behind my register I would have hit my head on the register behind me.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Now that you may also be scared, start carrying peanut butter crackers or cheese crackers and "real sugar" hard candies with you, so if you start to feel lightheaded, you can pop something into your mouth right away.
    Also, try to plan meals/snacks every three hours. Have a good nutritious breakfast and a snack, like fruit/milk mid-morning, then lunch, then a mid afternoon snack then dinner. At least until you can get tested and see what IS going on. Good luck to you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Yes sounds positive. Definitely see a doctor. A change of life now can prevent it from being severe. Exercise more, eat very well, take your vitamins, and definitely watch the sweets and carbs.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Hypoglycemia does not always indicate diabetes. Neither does frequent urination (diabetics urinate more because they drink more because they've got a constant thirst). There are several other symptoms of diabetes that you may or may not have: blurry vision at times, extreme drowsiness about an hour or two after eating, numb extremities, unexplained weight loss and more. If you are concerned, talk to your doctor or, if you know someone that has a blood glucose meter, see if they'll check your blood sugar for you.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2010