Has this happened?

Has your child or teenager ever been suspended from school? What was it like for him/her and you as a parent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was suspended once. My parents didnt mind. I stood up for what was right so, they didnt get mad at all.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• He is grounded and he has lost his cell phone and no TV or game system.
    Anonymous

• My sister was when she was in school. I can't tell you all the chores she had to do while she was though...my mother put her butt to work!
    Anonymous

• It depends on the REASON for the suspension. I got suspended once for skipping a Saturday detention because I had a JOB to go to. My parents didn't care, they felt the job was more important than sitting on my ass doing nothing in a school detention hall. I got the detention for skipping a class. THAT I got grounded for. Lost the car for a few days. Skipping class WAS NOT OKAY to them. lol

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My son was suspended for a crappy reason. I had him stay inside instead of letting him go to his friends house all day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• If the school chooses to punish your child by suspending them, you should support their decision and ensure the days at home are not leisurely holiday time, sleeping in and watching TV.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My kids havent gotten there yet. I was suspended a bunch. Mostly because of fighting. I was never expelled even though other parents called for it. My mama taught me to stand up for myself. She said, " If you hit them first out of anger or fustration, you'll have me to deal with and I gurantee you, you cant beat me. BUT if they hit you, and you are DEFENDING yourself... then hey, enjoy the time off from school."

I know for some parents that seems odd but that was just they way it was. From 7-9th grade I was picked on alot. I told teachers and I told administrators, they did nothing to stop it. Those girl thought that I was a helpless little outcast. I fought and I fought dirty. By the time I made it to 10th grade I had no issues because word had spread.

I hope none of my boys end up in that situation, but if they do I hope it is simply because they are defending themselves.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Mt oldest DD was for "graffiti" she tied a paper towel bow around a bathroom stall, I was pissed with the school cause she was suspended for 3 days, while the kids who had wrote on the bathroom walls with permanent marker got lunch duty. She was not punished at all, the school used her as an example and it didn't fly with me.

My second oldest son was for stealing a candy bar out of the vending machine, he got suspended and was grounded for a week. When asked why he did it he said "I wanted some chocolate" just that simple, the boy has a notorious sweet tooth.

I look at the situation and go from there.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2010