What would you do....?

What would you do as consequences if your teen wanted to hang with a kid at school and they distract others in class by acting childish? What consequences would you have at home for this? Or would you just let the school handle it if they refuse to leave each other alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd not leave it up to the school alone. They NEED the parental support too. My teen would be grounded if he acted like a "jerk" in class. I'd take away the Ipod, Wii, car, whatever it is that he'd HATE to lose, until his attitude improved. As a teacher myself I will NEVER tolerate my child disrupting class. I KNOW how aggravating it is. :)

Anonymous

• At school one of them should be switched to a different class. At home, they'd be working thier BUTTS OFF!
    Anonymous

• Id let the school deal with it and if they called me in then we'd all discuss it together. They have to deal with it, Im not there so they would be better at stopping the behavior.

Id definately have a talk with him after I learned about it but wouldnt punish him or whatnot cuz Im not there.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Obviously the school has contacted you to inform you the problem so they must hope that you will get involved. It's NOT up to the school to deal with it alone. YOU are the parent. I would want to meet with the authorities at the school that were dealing with my child and plan a joint attack on both fronts to show these kids it's serious.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I agree with Amaranth361....he would get talked to at home, but, they would dole out the consequence. While I am there in meeting.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Amaranth what if the behavior CONTINUED despite you talking to him? Would you punish then? I only ask for I have had parents who just don't give ANY at home consequence despite my calling them MULTIPLE times a week for behavior. I feel those few act up in class for mom and dad don't care that they are doing it. ::sigh::

Schools NEED that parental support, ESPECIALLY when it comes to behavior.

Anonymous

• I would if it continued.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I should add, my phone calls ONLY come if the school consequence is MEANINGLESS to the child. (detention- in class lunch -- loss of free time in class- etc.)

Anonymous

• As a teacher, you should be doing your ABCs -

A - Antecedent - what is happening before the behavior?
    B - Behavior - what is the behavior and does it change with circumstances, activity, time of day, etc.?
    C - Consequence - what is the student getting out of the behvior (avoidance, attention, preferred activity, etc.)?

Until you understand the function of the behavior, you will not be able to extinguish it.
    Anonymous

• If I ever had any trouble at school I got punished at home, too. If my parents got a call about something or I got a report that my grades were down I definitely got grounded at home- usually for a week with no phone and no friends over or something like that. Of course that was before internet, iphones, Wii, etc. but I am sure if I had those my parents would have taken them, too. LOL! It is bad to act up at home but it is even worse to act up at school and I think a punishment to back up whatever the school says is appropriate as long as the punishment fits the crime.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2010