When do I know my kids are ready for one nap a day?

I have twin boys and they are 16 months. Everyone is telling me that they should be having only one nap a day. But the last two days I have tried just one nap and they are falling asleep during lunch. And they cry nonstop by a certain time. I am so confused because I don't feel like they are ready. Is this normal for transition or should I trust my instincts?

adeveraux27

Asked by adeveraux27 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• some kids require more sleep than others. it seems as if your children arent ready, but my dd was ready for 1 nap at 12 months and after she turned 2 she would only take a nap a couple times a week.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• always, always, always trust your instincts!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Well how much sleep are they getting at night? At this age they need 10-13 hours a day (between night and naps) so I would focus more on the amount rather than when. Is it possible they need to go to bed earlier?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My DD went to one nap a day shortly after 12 months, I knew it was time because her morning nap could get pushed a little later but then it would last for longer than usual and then it would be near impossible to get her down for a second nap later in the day, or she would sleep for only a half an hour or so the 2nd nap. I just tried serving lunch earlier, like around 11:30. Or give them a late snack in the morning and then lunch after nap time. But your kids may still need two naps, I think if you aren't sure they are ready then they probably aren't. You know them best, so just because someone else's kid cut back on naps at a certain time that doesn't mean it is right for your kids. As long as they are sleeping ok at night and still going down for both naps I think that is a sign that what you are doing is working just fine. You will know when their schedule needs a change- they will just seem to be outgrowing it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• They will know when they are ready. Every child is different. And every day is different.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Trust your instincts! If they're not ready, they're not ready! I knew my kids were ready when they didn't want to go to bed at their bedtime and stopped sleeping through the night. When I moved to 1 nap, everything went back to normal. Follow their lead.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• They're not ready yet and that's okay! They don't know that some random book somewhere said they should only be taking 1 nap a day. You're doing fine with two naps.

For my son, I knew he was ready to transition when he started having a hard time falling asleep at morning nap time and then would only sleep for about 20 minutes. Then he wouldn't go down for his second nap, but would crash at 5:00 or so. I started trying to keep him up until after lunch. When that didn't work, I started giving him his lunch a little earlier. I wanted him to sleep on a full belly so he'd take a good nap. Now he's got it down perfectly. I crept his lunch back up to the regular time and he takes a 2 hour nap right afterwards. I would say that if they are still sleeping well with 2 naps a day then they're not ready to transition.
    Anonymous

• Trust yourself, you're kids are a part of you and you know what's best. Alot of people like to tell others how to raise their kids, but unless they're asked, it's none of their damn business.
    yawningmommy

Answer by yawningmommy at 12:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2010