When i cut back on eating, i feel bad. What can i do?

I am 75 lbs. over weight. And i am trying to cut back on my eating. I am so used to eating so much, eating out, and eating snacks ect. I work at a school cafeteria so i am around food all day. The problem is we get done and clock out of the school cafeteria at 2 pm, and us bus drivers have to sit around and wait til 3 pm till school gets out. During that time, my friends and I hit the Teacher's lounge and get sodas and snacks out of the vending machines. I usually have a soda and a candy bar at 2 pm. Yesterday instead of the usual soda and candy bar, i drank some water and ate some baked chips. By the time i got home at 4 pm, i was sick and weak. I guess my body had went into a shock mode, it was like my body was screaming where is that soda and candy bar i usually get at 2 pm? today i cut back on my snacking and felt the same way. I feel bad when i cut back on my eating, i feel like sh**. What can i do to feel better?

Honda309

Asked by Honda309 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I think you have to basically tough it out. I am cutting out sodas from my diet. My body is also craving the sugar and caffeine. I am drinking unsweetened ice tea with lots of lemon instead. As for the sugar, you have to find a replacement snack that satisfies you. I bought some of the Yoplait Yogurts that they advertise on TV. You can get the lights that contain about 100 calories. They really do taste great! Basically cutting out the sodas and snacks and just concentrate on healthy foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have also cut out all butter from my diet. I am only using Olive Oil. So, I know it's not alot, but these simple steps can help you.

Otherwise, lots of my friends have great success with Weight Watchers. You could look into that too.

Good luck and hang in there! You can do it!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• You could also substitute your sweet cravings with fresh fruit. They go great with yogurt. I eat apples with a little peanut butter for an afternoon energy boost.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Eat fruit and do high protein, No bread, rice, pasta, chips, etc.

The one hour you guys have, go for a walk and take the other women with you.

It does take time to lose weight but it will be worth it.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Your body is used to kicking out the insulin because of all the food/snacks and when you cut back your body doesn't always get the message right away so you get that "I-need-food-now" feeling as your blood sugar levels drop. It can take a few to several days for your body to adjust. Instead of chips I'd take apples, peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese & fruit, cheese sticks & whole grain crackers for snacks. You need to combine a protein with a natural, complex or high fiber carb food. They take longer for your body to digest so you won't get that up & down feeling. Go ahead and eat frequent snacks as long as they're healthy and not junk food.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I want to exercise too, and i have not exercised in a while. But i feel too sluggish to exercise. I think i will just focus on getting my eating habits straightened out, and then gradually add in the exercise routine.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 7:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It's going to take time to get the sugar out of your system. It took me months to get off soft drinks. It was longer to get over refined sugar.
    Take it slow but cleanse your body. I agree that to adjust eat fruit but get off the candy and soft drinks.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Thanks for the good suggestions. I will try these.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2010