Will they give a psych evalation if......

you have been drinking?

my SO basically broke down tonight. it has been a long time coming. He wanted his sister to just take him to a place to check into directly but it was almost 8pm so he had to go to the ER. His mom is worried they won't give him the evaluation if he has been drinking. he really needs this help. he has needed it for awhile, but wouldnt ever go. So, I am glad he is going, but sad it all happened the way it did. he didnt want me to go with him so i am stuck at home just waiting to hear something from his sister....Does anyone know if they will give him the evaluation?? or help him find a place to check into?

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• yes, they'll eval someone who is intoxicated- or hold them long enough to sober up, and then do it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• THANK YOU! I am glad because he needs it and even though the circumstances aren't great, the fact that he finally went is HUGE...I dont want him to be turned away. I dont know what he would do.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• They can hold him for up to 72 hours to evaluate him.
    Anonymous

• They may take him to detox but once he sobers up he'll want to leave and if he signs himself in he can sign himself out. They can't keep him unless he threatens to harm himself or someone else. My x wanted to get help every time he got drunk but they refused him until he could make the decision while sober.
    Anonymous

• he has thought about getting help before, but never went. the fact that he actually went is really really huge for him. he hates hospitals.

his mom had a nervous breakdown sometime before i knew them. she now is bi-polar with some anxiety issues i think. i dont know the full extent of her stuff....but apparently there is a history of mental illness on his mom's side.

i really hope that he actually get the help he needs because its what is best for him, my SKs and our DD.

currently i am waiting to hear something from his sister. i know he is still at the hospital. it sounds like they aren't lettign him take phone calls (which is fine) and like they havent decided what to do just yet. so they are probably waiting for him to sober up...that would be my guess. i am hoping i hear something soon.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I'm sure they will. Drinking or not, if he is expressing true concern over his mental well being, they WILL try to help him. Good luck OP.
    jenmay44me

Answer by jenmay44me at 12:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2010